Trunk release routing

mtgibby

I located the trunk release cable in one of the boxes that came with the car.

How is it routed on the way to the trunk mechanism?

The cable is stiff in the sheath, but it does move. Any clues on how to get it looser and smoother?

Thanks!

Mike

If I remember correctly, (it's been a while!), there's a molded in 'depression' in an Avanti's fiberglass trunk floor which the trunk release cable fits into....this serves as a guide for the cable.

The pull handle is located on the floor rise of the drivers side, passenger seat. It runs thru the rise and lays on the floor, goes under the rear panel, thru the gas tank compartment, then down to the trunk floor and is hidden under the carpet.

The pull handle is located on the floor rise of the drivers side, passenger seat. It runs thru the rise and lays on the floor, goes under the rear panel, thru the gas tank compartment, then down to the trunk floor and is hidden under the carpet.

Not quite the floor, down at the bottom of the left rear passenger arm rest. The rest is correct, once in the trunk there is a depression in the floor to allow the carpet to lay flat.

Thanks guys.

I will get some ATF and soak the cable.

Here are some pictures:

DSC02873_zpsofxhy9o6.jpg

I understand where it starts at the arm rest. Where does it come out? At the round hole? Or does it go up and out at window level?

Edited by mtgibby

How hard is it to lubricate the cable with it installed in the car? Mine is snug enough that I don't think my wife could pull it out enough to release the trunk.

Mike S

There is no depression in the trunk floor. The cable comes out the hole in the side of the arm rest, and out through the hole you pictured in the trunk back panel. It should be screwed o the floor with to clips, and phillips head screws, before securing to the latch.

The hole in the wheel well gets a rubber expansion well nut, and it secures the antenna base to a flat ground strap that travels along the floor, and terminates at the corner body mount..

The suggestion to use ATF is a good one . Used white Lubriplate. But how do you keep it from wicking into the carpeting? Used the white translucent air line in industrial applications.

Installed this tubing with shrink tubing on the ends. This was done in the early '80's, still work better than new. Also keeps moisture out of the assembly from trunk leaks.

Did this on the console cables as well as the hood release.

After soaking the cable in ATF and wiping it off, I never had a wicking issue. Its been about 3 years since I soaked and tried the cable, all good and the lock release is a moderate pull from the inside T handle.

Mark