Paint code for a '70 RQA 0330

Mike Sal

Can anyone help with where I can find the paint code for my Monterey Green car? I remember someone telling me it was a Cadillac color (Monterey green firemist??)? The local NAPA store can make up a touch up can of paint for me if I can get the GM code. They thought they had something yesterday but it wouldn't cross into a NAPA number & the sample they made up was just a little lighter than the sample I brought them (the cowl vent from the drivers side)...I think it had too much metal flake in it which made it look like a lighter shade.

thanks,

Mike Sal

Mike

IIWM, I'd find a paint store that has the instrument that can match what you have on the car. 46 years can do a lot to the color and there is nothing to suggest that it was painted with the flake size or level that a color number might suggest. We all know that there were vast differences in Avanti finishes.

The instrument can generally get both flake size and type pretty accurately if the operator is decent as well as the color mix.

If you were painting the whole car, I just recommend you use the original color number if you can locate it as matching areas is not important.

Bob

Edited by Avanti83

The main reason I was looking for a small spray can of touch up was two fold....to paint my model car to match our real car....and to touch up a couple small spots on the real car until we can get the entire car re-painted. I also have to find some Lime Green paint to match the color of the carpets....I wouldn't want the model to share in the "60's flair"!

Mike S

Avanti Motors usually put the paint name and code either under the glove box vanity tray or on the back of the mirror in the vanity. Another place might be the production order for the car...it at least gives the paint name if not the code.

Overall, I agree with Bob (Avanti83)...go to an auto paint store that can computer match what you have. Paint chemistry and formulations have changed much over the years and even if a paint store can mix the proper color, it could still not match the wear and fading that's occurred.

Mike, I have a sheet of Cadillac Firemist colors. It shows code 93 for Greenbrier Green and code 94 for the lighter Galloway Green. I can email the image to you. It is too large to post here.

There are many other images I would like to share here, but the attachment size is very small. Is there a way to enlarge the file size?

(o[]o)

I looked thru some of the books I have out in the shop & found that my color chip books (Martin Senour)only go back to '72. I'll have Sonya look thru them this week to see if anything is close. I'll also try to find a paint store that can mix colors (I live out in the sticks so any paint store is a drive of some kind). Seems nothing is ever simple.....

Mike S