Hood to Cowl Weatherstrip

Jim78

My '78 has the hood/cowl weatherstrip attached to the underside of the hood, rather than to the top of the cowl. Does anyone else have this arrangement, or was mine installed incorrectly when the car was re-painted? There is no evidence of there ever having been adhesive on the cowl, but I can see old adhesive under the new paint on the hood. Just curious.

I've seen it done both ways. I don't know what was the factory's preferred way of installing it...like so many things with Avanti II's, it may just be the preference of the person doing the work as opposed to a single, standardized way.

On the '63 I used to own years ago, the weather strip was installed on the cowl. On my '70 it's mounted under the hood.

I just found some pictures that I had taken of a totally original, 10,000 mile '77 Avanti. It also has the weatherstrip on the underside of the hood. I'm going to guess that somewhere along the way they used up the cowl mounted strips. The hood-mounted strip appears to be a different cross section than the one used on the cowl.

The hood-mounted strip appears to be a different cross section than the one used on the cowl.

Jim,

That cowl strip is important. I recall hearing somewhere, that the cowl section of the wx/strip was allowing hot underhood air to bleed by and get sucked into the cowl air intake..... warming up the interior. It's important that it seals correctly..

Jim,

That cowl strip is important. I recall hearing somewhere, that the cowl section of the wx/strip was allowing hot underhood air to bleed by and get sucked into the cowl air intake..... warming up the interior. It's important that it seals correctly..

That certainly makes sense. It wouldn't matter whether the strip was attached to the hood or cowl, as long as it sealed. I do recall the strip being attached to the cowl on my '63, because it made it difficult to remove the grill to access wiper linkage and the washer hose/nozzle. I was trying to get a sense of when the change was made. From Bruce's comment, it would appear to have been at or before 1970.