Air Cleaner for 1971 Avanti II

TMA62

If any of you have a 1970-72 Avanti II, take a look at the attached photo. Does your air cleaner look like this? This is what is on my 1971 Avanti II. It is a dual-snorkel are cleaner with a chrome top.

Is your air cleaner black with a chrome top? Is (was) there a decal on the chrome top? What did it read?

I have read that the pictured air filter was used on Corvettes in 1970. My goal is to match how the car was originally delivered in 1971.

Thank you in advance!

post-1306-0-36960900-1475080508_thumb.jpg

Mine has an aftermarket Edelbrock chrome air cleaner (that I don't like) so I can't help you. But you've given me something to look for since I like the look of the original one much better. Not sure what originally came on my car - a Studebaker styled low profile one, or a chevy one like your picture.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Tom

That looks like a Corvette L82 air cleaner. The '78 Vette I used to own used that...it should have two rubberized accordian-style flexible ducting that connect to cold air inlets. It works fine without the ducting other than it breathes in hot engine compartment air (like most cars of the era) rather than cold outside air.

It's not original to your Avanti...that would probably have used the Corvette open air filter assembly. What you have came later once all the emission control regulations kicked in. Corvettes began sporting that air cleaner assembly in 1973-1974 model years.

Generally for these type of questions I go to Bob Johnstones site and scout through the year in question of individual Avanti and look at the pictures of those that look original. http://www.studebaker-info.org/AvantiAAV.html

And here also. http://www.theavanti.net/registry.html

And lastly, just Google 1971 Avanti and see what shows up.

Bob

Edited by Avanti83

I have found a good source of engine parts (e.g. air cleaner, valve cover grommets, gaskets etc.) at Corvette America.

www.corvetteamerica.com/

They are located near Reedsville, PA. If you're coming to the swap meet next month, Corvette America is worth a visit.

I still have the original from RQA0381. It has NO snorkels.

I misspoke...the snorkels would be present in a Corvette. Avanti didn't install cold air ducting for the snorkels to attach to. In Corvettes the air cleaner with cold air snorkels were rated as giving 5-10 horsepower horsepower over not having the cold air induction. In the real world and not a test room, who knows how much they really helped.

If any of you have a 1970-72 Avanti II, take a look at the attached photo. Does your air cleaner look like this? This is what is on my 1971 Avanti II. It is a dual-snorkel are cleaner with a chrome top.

Is your air cleaner black with a chrome top? Is (was) there a decal on the chrome top? What did it read?

I have read that the pictured air filter was used on Corvettes in 1970. My goal is to match how the car was originally delivered in 1971.

Thank you in advance!

Here is a poor picture of the one that came on my 1971 Avanti (a/c removed and slid/pivoted to one side) which I bought in about 1979; I have no reason to think the prior owner changed the air cleaner as the car appeared bone stock at the time. I can get better pictures if you'd like.

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a408/waynecpb/IMGP0048%20edited_zpsv2rhaz7x.jpg