Avanti runs hot

FWilliam

200 degrees is not unusual for cars of that time period. 160-180 degrees might be normal for cars of an earlier, non-smog equipment era. Your car may actually have a 195 degree thermostat as standard. If it maintains 200 in most driving that would be ok.

If you want, flushing and refilling the cooling system...new hoses, etc., surely wouldn't do any harm. It might make you feel better about it.

Check the actual temperature of the system with something other than the gauge. If it's still in that range, I'd probably replace the thermostat with a 190/195 new one to be sure. I use 190/195 ones in all my SBC engines and 200 is not unusual in hot weather in mine. As far as a small margin, the new cars run 200+ normally. Makes for higher efficiency and if yours is a TBI injection engine it shouldn't cause any fuel issues.

I believe you also have a computer and if you go lower in engine temperature, it will not run as well because the computer will think it's running cold and adjust fuel and timing in response.

I have a '87 Coupe and 200* is normal, OEM thermostat is 195*. Nothing wrong with normal cooling system maintenance, but I would not try lowering the running temperature as it will screw with the computer system.

As a side note, I install TPI from a '89 Firebird and an eletric fan. The computer will turn on the fan at 231* and off at 209*, that is normal.

Jim Wood