Door mirrors?

Mike Sal

Our RQA 0330 has one mirror, on the drivers door. It's location interferes with opening the vent window enough to be of much use. When we repaint the car I'd like to move the location and add one to the passengers side. I see some mirrors located on the front fenders, but not quite sure I'd want them so far away (my eyesight isn't getting any better).

I'd like to hear some opinions on what has worked well with you regarding mirror locations (ex. is there enough room to move the mirror just enough to clear the vent window without looking goofey?). I'm such a tight wad, I'm cringing about the price of new mirrors too.....

thanks,

Mike Sal

Many years of Avanti II cars used an American Motors outside mirror. Once the Feds required both sides have mirrors (and some states prior to that) Avanti Motors installed them on both sides. It's been some years since I checked but repop AMC mirrors were not cheap and originals needed rechroming from years of use and exposure.

Unless you're a stickler for correctness, look into aftermarket mirrors for both sides that can be placed where you want them. I installed a pair of repop original Stude Avanti mirrors on my '70...kind of paying homage to its Studebaker roots.

The repops come from Studebaker International. Whether the wings clear them depends on where you mount them...or need to mount them for best rear vision and ease of adjusting.

The driver side mirror on my 63 R1 was worn and would not stay in place. I ordered a pair of Strato repops from SI. Most pleased with their high quality and they look exactly like the original mirror. The passenger side mirror has a slightly convex mirror with the "OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE ..." I mounted the passenger side mirror to match the originally mounted driver side. It is not the best location for viewing, but better than nothing and does not interfere with vent window. The mirrors are a bit pricey, but in my opinion are worth the cost. I used the original well nuts to install the driver side and the SI furnished well nuts for the new passenger side.

(o[]o)

• 4 months later...

I have just broken the drivers side stratoview mirror on my 1969 Avanti RQA 0354. I didn't like them much and was planning on replacing them with the later rally style used on the later models.Anyone know of a source for this style mirror? I will have a passenger side for sale but I think they're repros anyway but in good condition.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to be back so late. Went to my local Oreilly parts store and after looking for the CIPA 19100 which they don't carry, I settled for a pair of $10.00 specials (Ksource p/n 1401) to get me by. To my surprise, the fit the same holes as the originals and I can see better out of both sides. They still interfere with the vent windows but the vision, especially from the right side is much improved. Still may look for the CIPA's as they are the rally style but these work so well I won't need to be in a hurry. Anyone need a nice strato with an extra mirror included?    As an aside, I was once in the Studebaker Drivers club in St Louis in 1973 till about 1979. I had a 1960 white with red interior Lark convertible and a 1963 Avanti R2 gold with fawn interior.