Owner's Manual

JWL1940

Among a large collection of receipts, registrations, magazines, repair orders, and other documents related to R4541, provided by the previous owner, was the original Owner's Manual. It had obviously been stored for many years as it is in excellent condition. I noticed there was a signature on the front cover of the manual, but could not make it out at first. Further examination revealed it was Raymond Loewy's signature! What a nice surprise. I am so fortunate that all this historical material so it can continue being with the Avanti.

(o[]o)

Neat stuff! I'd love to know when and where Loewy was when he signed the manual. An Avanti II somewhere is wearing his signature either on the dash or inside the trunk lid (can't remember where it was done) from a Smithsonian event.

I question the authenticity of that signature. It may have been made late in Loewy's life, but people usually do not change the way that they form letters in their names. They may get sloppier. People's signatures do not all look exactly the same each time that they write them, but the characteristics of letter formation, etc. tend to stay consistent.

I have things signed by Loewy. I pulled out a letter of Feb. 1965 signed by Loewy and what I see posted above looks like a poor imitation, especially the formation of the "R".

4541 was assmbled in June 1963. Loewy wouldn't have been around Studebaker then. It is possible that someone caught up to Loewy somewhere to get his signature, but that seems highly unlikely to me. A picture of him signing it or an eye witness would convince me that he really changed his signature that much.

I went and spent the time to dig out a couple of other things including an original sketch from the Palm Springs "design house" and a book. They are both consistent with the letter that I first used as a check..

studegary, I know the Avanti was always in the LA area until I bought it. The car was in the same family for 32 years. Lots of auto related activity in Southern California and probably many opportunities to have met RL. Previous owner was a charter member of AOAI. I would be interested in seeing your Loewy signatures in order to compare them to the one on the manual. I don't see why the previous owner would have forged a Loewy signature. Makes no sense to me.

(o[]o)