Fuel line to Carburator

Mike Sal

I finally got a chance to take a longer look around under the hood of RQA 0330 tonight & I saw something I didn't like. It's a piece of copper pipe being used between the fuel pump & carburator.

Can anyone share a photo of their engine which shows where the fuel line is routed. From back in my chevy days, I assume it curves back from the fuel pump & hugs the front of the block on it's way up & around the manifold. I wan't to make up a new line to get rid of the home made one. I don't know why he did this, but wonder if it was connected to when he put the new holly carb on it (the old Q-jet was worn out).

thanks,

Mike S

It should be the way you described. Sorry I don't have a photo as I'm away from home but my car will be different as it has an electric fuel pump and EFI. You can buy pre-bent fuel lines for a small block Chebbie from a variety of sources to save you the trouble of bending pipe.

The fuel line change was likely prompted by the Holley having a different fuel inlet location than the original AFB or Quadrajet. Since it's just a pipe between the fuel pump and carburetor, does it have a fuel filter installed? AFBs and Q-jets of the period have fuel filters installed within the inlet but Holleys may not.

Yes, they did put a fuel filter in the line. I'll duplicate the set up in steel, but I guess I could check to see if a pre-bent one is available to save the trouble (I do have all the tools for making fuel lines though).

I forgot that we still have a '78 chevy pickup on the farm for hauling rock & junk. I'll take a peak at it's fuel line (it has a 350 w/ Q-jet).

Mike S