2002 Avanti, but..

Zackley! If it's such an easy repair it should be getting done on the other guy's dime. It's the potential of incidents as this that keep me from driving my '02 any more than I do.

If you look at his posting on the Avanti Group Facebook page he seem very defensive when someone asks a questions or makes a comment. I also feel the same way about my 07. Would all be custom body work and not many know how to do that.

I agree that the other guy should pay for the repair but the reason I carry insurance is to get my car fixed no matter who's a fault. Wonder if he had insurance when it was wrecked.

I don't see why the Corvette guys couldn't fix it but there's a fair amount of damage and it won't be cheap. The whole quarter looks involved as well as the rear valence and front fender. Paint alone will be many thousands.

I've never paid attention to the rear end of this era avanti. I would think it would be VERY difficult to see the 2 brake lights on the corners of the rear end. Luckily the 3rd taillight is there.

There seems to be an issue on the passenger FRONT too!

00M0M_4HL5PAJGYs4_600x450.jpg

Edited by j the teacher

I notice that it does not have "Avanti" nameplates front or rear.

I am thinking that the insurance company, either his or the other guy's, considered the car to be a total loss. This does not mean that it can not be repaired. I think that the value/settlement may have hinged on how it was insured/titled. If it was just considered to be a 2002 Pontiac, that damage would total it out. Of course, if it was totaled, it most likely has a salvage title now.

I believe that the price has been reduced. I remember it at $20K and now I see it is at $15K OBO. (Perhaps I have confused ads.)

He wants $15,000 for it or will trade for something else. All depends on if someone is willing to invest another $10,000 or more to fix this car. I have seen several 2000's without the Avanti name plate. Mine does not have one because it was one of the ones that was sitting on the production floor when the plant got shut down so there are still some items to complete.

It's going to take some very, very talented fiberglass body guys to fix that properly...and that won't come cheap. If it was insured as a Firebird it likely was totaled. If it was insured through a classic car insurance company for agreed value the insurance would probably foot the repair bill. Regardless...the insurance company of the other driver probably screamed when they saw the car and considered it a totaled Firebird and said "sue us" for anything beyond that.

If the car was perfect I think that's way too high. There's so few of that generation Avanti and even fewer change hands, there's no way to come up with an accurate estimate of its value. Just using the SWAG method, I'd say the car, if not needing the bodywork, would be worth somewhere in the $25k-$30k area at best. Needing an estimated $36k in damage repairs, that is a constructive write-off.

A couple of years ago a 2001 or 2002 Avanti belonging to Mike Kelly's father was sold on eBay and I believe it brought something like $28k and had far fewer miles than this one...and took several different runs on eBay before finally selling.

The car can be repaired, but to make it economically doable, the car would have to be sold for scrap value if that damage estimate is genuine and not something someone made up.

There's just not a whole lot of demand for these cars since so few were built and not many people know they even exist. I have an '02 and it's a great car but I can't deny the reality of its market value. If I wanted to dispose of the car, I'd actually be better off if it was stolen or otherwise destroyed and take the insurance payoff. It's that way with many, many collectable cars...market value vs. insured value.

In case you haven't discovered it, this Avanti is now on eBay at no reserve. The last that I looked it was at $5000 with three days to go.

I was interested, but the salvage title makes a lot of difficulty here in New York State, including transporting it out of county for a state inspection of the car. Also, I do not have a place to work on it now and my friend's body shop does not work on fiberglass or carbon fiber bodies.

By the time that I figured shipping and repair in on a car with a salvage title, $5000 was about the most that I would go to buy the car.

By the time that I figured shipping and repair in on a car with a salvage title, $5000 was about the most that I would go to buy the car.

Agree, If I had one less in the polebarn, I'd be tempted to bid at that price and repair it as unique daily driver. It would be a decent driver but I'll bet the passenger tail light is a bear to source.

One of our members on the west coast needed new tail light lenses and had some made. He advertises them in the classifieds in Turning Wheels and I believe in the AOAI magazine. Not cheap but they're available.

Donald Kelly's 6 speed coupe originally sold for $25,100. It was 13,000 miles. It was peddeled by a flipper after that, might have sold for $28K.

Alice Coopers 2007 convertible sold for $24,700 with 20000 miles

The damage on the passenger front extended into the engine bay. There was popped fiberglass there with missing filler. This image was on the craigslist ad but not the eBay ad.

Dad got some more pictures of the back from the guy- look at how much filler the factory put on these cars!

I thought it was a 4-6K car but who knows!

U1vtg5j.jpg

nT82gnE.jpg

Donald Kelly's 6 speed coupe originally sold for $25,100. It was 13,000 miles. It was peddeled by a flipper after that, might have sold for $28K.

Alice Coopers 2007 convertible sold for $24,700 with 20000 miles

The damage on the passenger front extended into the engine bay. There was popped fiberglass there with missing filler. This image was on the craigslist ad but not the eBay ad.

Dad got some more pictures of the back from the guy- look at how much filler the factory put on these cars!

I thought it was a 4-6K car but who knows!

U1vtg5j.jpg

nT82gnE.jpg

I do not believe that the pictures are showing a large amount of "filler". You are looking at the thickness of the broken fiberglass panel that makes up the "overlay" for a fender, etc.

I do not believe that the pictures are showing a large amount of "filler". You are looking at the thickness of the broken fiberglass panel that makes up the "overlay" for a fender, etc.

I don't think it is metal firebird underneath that filler but fiberglass. I included another picture plus supersized one.

73GV3Nu.jpg

H7WcD80.jpg

On the Firebird based cars all the body panels were removed for the Avanti body panels. I believe Mustang based cars did keep some of their original panels underneath.

Do any of you know what this Avanti sold for on eBay or was the auction pulled in the last day? The last that I knew, it was at $5100, but still had a day or two to run.