Stude Avantis...How Many Exist?

mfg

On the SDC Forum website, I've been recording existing (and parted) 1955 Studebaker President Speedsters for about three years now....I began with a list of 183 cars, and just today that list has exceeded 300 examples!

I was wondering if anyone has thought about compiling a roster of existing Studebaker Avantis?...The AOAI Avanti Roster would be the basis of this list, but we all know there are many Studebaker Avantis which come up for sale on e-bay, craigslist, etc., which are not now listed, and NEVER HAVE been listed in any AOAI or SDC club rosters.

These un-recorded Avantis would need to be 'ferreted out' and entered over a period of time.....kind of like what I've been doing with the President Speedsters.

Anyone willing to manage a comprehensive Studebaker Avanti roster of this sort?

On the SDC Forum website, I've been recording existing (and parted) 1955 Studebaker President Speedsters for about three years now....I began with a list of 183 cars, and just today that list has exceeded 300 examples!

I was wondering if anyone has thought about compiling a roster of existing Studebaker Avantis?...The AOAI Avanti Roster would be the basis of this list, but we all know there are many Studebaker Avantis which come up for sale on e-bay, craigslist, etc., which are not now listed, and NEVER HAVE been listed in any AOAI or SDC club rosters.

These un-recorded Avantis would need to be 'ferreted out' and entered over a period of time.....kind of like what I've been doing with the President Speedsters.

Anyone willing to manage a comprehensive Studebaker Avanti roster of this sort?

Available on Bob Johnstone's website. http://www.studebaker-info.org/

prezweblhd.jpg

Bob's Studebaker Resource Website

2011;

Avanti database / (adding) AOAI Roster 2011

Dec 2014;

Adding the AOAI 1995 & 1996 Roster

• As of 19 April 2011, the Avanti 2011 Roster and my Database have been combined...

Note: The AOAI Roster for 2011 contains a fair amount of errors, in both ownership and email addresses.

The entire AOAI Roster was sifted through and compared against my existing records. Many emails went out and almost all were returned, as incorrect.

I made the corrections that could be verified, but some conflicts could not be revised because there's no way to contact the owner.

Keep in mind, there are MANY owners who do not participate in this site or any other and do not support either, the AOAI or SDC.

Oddly enough, there are also AOAI supporters who refuse to give their vehicle numbers. There are around 3500 records on this site and as you can guess, there are many more cars out there that aren't accounted for.

This database is now the largest compilation of information.

If you have anything to add to or enhance these records, it would be appreciated if you email it to me..

Thanks /

rfjohnstone at cox . net

What's New????

26 December 2014:

The AOAI 1995 & 1996 Rosters are being merged. Still some errors, but no one kept this current anyway! Still in all, it shows a decent provenance of many cars....

Additions and corrections are always welcome.....

To Top

Edited by Regnalbob

Keep in mind that you may be comparing "apples and oranges". You asked about Studebaker Avantis and Bob J's site tracks all Avantis (1963-2007).

But they are differentiated on his site so one just needs to select the appropriate sections. http://www.studebaker-info.org/avantix5.html

come as close as anyone can to a COMPLETE listing of surviving Studebaker Avantis...

Thanks.... and will stay at it. The one big help would have been if the AOAI and SDC would have taken up on my suggestion to require serial numbers on classified ads. That alone, would have been a big help, but ....deaf ears, you know.

Still go to some of the large meets, taking pics and noting numbers..... If you ever see any cars at local shows, try and get serial # and pass it on to me. There are a couple Avantians who regularly go out of their way to do this and are a great help. Obviously, there are quite a few owners/investors/collectors out there who don't belong to any organizations.....

You can ad 1969 Avanti RQA-0298 to your list of survivors...I used to own it....It's now owned by a gent from Maine who has restored the car beautifu

lly...I'll try to get his name when I visit friends up there in two weeks.

Tropic Green, (Cadillac color) 350CI, automatic, Magnum 500's

Edited by mfg

You can also ad Studebaker Avanti RQ-3623, another car I used to own....It sold on e-bay last year to a gent who lives in Texas....R2, automatic, originally Avanti White, red/fawn regal interior, originally power windows, but recently converted to manuals.

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to Avanti and look forward to the knowledge and experiences of those who post here. I am sure there will be many questions coming from me, hopefully just routine and easy ones dealing with maintenance and service. I have a 1937 Packard Six convertible coupe and a 1930 Ford Model A roadster hot rod. The Packard Info website is especially helpful and I see this one has that same flavor. Thanks in advance.

........About the 63RQ-3623

Yes, thanks.... however the chassis number has no "Q" in it... This has always fooled a lot of the newby-owners and many oldie owners who aren't into this stuff, that much. The old AOAI rosters have a lot of body tag entries that were sent as serial numbers....and they printed them! Go figure..

Yes, thanks.... however the chassis number has no "Q" in it... This has always fooled a lot of the newby-owners and many oldie owners who aren't into this stuff, that much. The old AOAI rosters have a lot of body tag entries that were sent as serial numbers....and they printed them! Go figure..

That's right!....The number on the serial plate for this e-bay Avanti (which I formerly owned) is 63R-3623...of course!

You can also ad Studebaker Avanti RQ-3623, another car I used to own....It sold on e-bay last year to a gent who lives in Texas....R2, automatic, originally Avanti White, red/fawn regal interior, originally power windows, but recently converted to manuals.

can you tell me more about this car since you were the previous owneras I just bought it for the supercharged motor and 4 speed set up.