Radio and CD player for Avanti II

hrhchazman

Hi all, I need some help. I have a 1967 Avanti II with a newer (probably about 78 to 82) interior. I'm looking for a combination radio/CD player that will fit in my cars' dash without hacking it up. I would prefer a 6, 10, or 12 CD changer that could be mounted in the trunk, but at this point I guess I can't be too picky. I know Studebaker Intl has a radio/CD player that fits early Avantis, (which mine is) that had the Delco radio but the newer interior on mine precludes me from being a candidate for that one. I actually have the original Delco radio that came with my car and it's obvious that it will no longer fit with the newer interior. The distance between the knobs on the older radio is something like 6&3/4 inches and the one that's in my car is something like 5&3/8 inches. (I don't remember the exact measurements) I tried talking to the guy at the local car stereo shop but he told me I would never find what I was looking for for my car because he was sure nobody made one. I just don't believe that. So, my question is, does anybody know of such a unit that would fit my car? I'm a real classic rock nut and the cassette player in the radio I have now just doesn't do it for me. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

The trunk mounted CD changer I had plugged into the antena and you set the radio on a preset station to receive the CD. With that type of setup you can use any radio.

Jim

The trunk mounted CD changer I had plugged into the antena and you set the radio on a preset station to receive the CD. With that type of setup you can use any radio.

Jim

Thanks for the reply Jim. I was hoping to replace the whole radio, it doesn't sound that great (whistles and whines even when playing a cassette) but if that's the only way I can go maybe a newer radio of the same type would work. What brand name is your CD changer, and do you know where it is available?

Charlie

We also did as Jim suggested with an Alpine CHM-S630 trunk mounted 6 disc player and under dash FM modulator played through the original radio.

These people specialize in after market stereos for classic cars: Classic car stereo I don't know anything about the quality of the units or fitment in the Avanti.

There are also some shaft type radios floating around on Ebay: Ebay shaft type cassette players This might allow you to at least get FM reception back.

Many large cities have electronics repair centers. If you are lucky there might be one nearby that could repair the unit you have in the car.

Most of the time we use an Ipod with a Griffin FM transmitter/charger. The Ipod allows for a huge music collection to be available in a compact format without risking your CDs to damage.

Hope this helps,

Joe Menacker

We also did as Jim suggested with an Alpine CHM-S630 trunk mounted 6 disc player and under dash FM modulator played through the original radio.

These people specialize in after market stereos for classic cars: Classic car stereo I don't know anything about the quality of the units or fitment in the Avanti.

There are also some shaft type radios floating around on Ebay: Ebay shaft type cassette players This might allow you to at least get FM reception back.

Many large cities have electronics repair centers. If you are lucky there might be one nearby that could repair the unit you have in the car.

Most of the time we use an Ipod with a Griffin FM transmitter/charger. The Ipod allows for a huge music collection to be available in a compact format without risking your CDs to damage.

Hope this helps,

Joe Menacker

Hi Joe, Thanks for the info. After posting my question I found "VintageVibes" on the internet and spoke to "Mark" today. He can actually put together a radio that will fit in my dash with a 10 disc CD changer mounted in the trunk. The price is reasonable and Mark is a great guy guy to talk to about classic cars. All I have to do is take some measurements of the radio I currently have in the car and give them to him. If this works out like I'm thinking it will I will definitely post the results here and hopefully save anyone else who might be in this same situation some detective work. Again, thanks to Joe & Jim for their input.

Charlie