car rental near O'Hare-off airport

StudeNorm

I ran the same experiment yesterday for the Orlando area. I Googled "Orlando Rental Cars" and finally ended up with Economy rentals. They are off site from the airport and the savings were significant. The price varied wildly with the bigger names being outrageous and Economy has an airport shuttle, if necessary.

We are using the rental in the mid-Florida (Orlando area) so I'm not real critical about who I rent from. To me, if it's non-smoking and an automatic, I don't much care about to other issues, I'll just exchange it if it has problems.

I'm a bottom line guy so I don't care how they add up the numbers, I just want the cheapest. I'm not buying it. We will be north of Orlando about 25 miles, so I checked renting in that locality, The Orlando rental was much less expensive so let Google be your friend here.

As a note: Check with your insurance and credit card company about insuring the rental and carefully ask about loss of income and decreased value coverage before you decide to decline coverage on the rental.

Good Luck, Bob

Edited by Avanti83

Rental cars are not a bargain anymore. Is the facility fee part of the rental cost? I hadn't heard of that kind of a charge, but in Chicago, anything is possible.

I think 'facility fee' is just another way to gouge the traveler who wants the convenience of getting the car right from the doorstep. It is a way of charging for the rental company to have a booth and parking area on the airport property. I don't mind taking a short cab or shuttle ride to an off-site location if it saves me hundreds of dollars. I will try 'Economy'....

I will be heading straight south to Talladega when I arrive and then driving back up for the Crossroads Zone meet the following weekend. We will probably spend a few more days in and around Chicago after that.

Would have been nice to travel in the Avanti but since we live in "northern" Canada right now that will have to wait a few more years until after retirement and we get back south...

Norm

I couldn't find them with the rest of the airport rentals but I found this site. https://www.economyrentacar.com/reserveStep2.aspx

I have no experience with them but I do have a reservation for February with them in Florida. Good news, no cancellation fee.

I'd still Google rental cars to get all the data. Bob

Edited by Avanti83

Thanks, Bob.

I finally searched through Google, then Expedia and then found that Thrifty has an off airport facility with shuttle. They want $440 for 15 days for an Altima, locked in, with no charge cancellation. I have an Altima as my commute car so that works for me. Thanks for your suggestions as it put me on track to what I eventually found.

Edited by StudeNorm