Need an engine in So Cal or SW

Kennie B.

Well, all seemed to be going well, even the transmission improved with just rebuilding the servos.

As that was getting better, I really started to track the oil consumption closely and realized it was a lot worse than I thought. Compression test (dry, hot) was in the 90's. Poured oil down the spark plug holes and bumped right up around 135 all 8 cylinders. Drove the car to work the next day and she definitely perked up. Stopped and picked up a bore scope on the way home. Once home, did another dry/hot compression check and cylinders 2 & 4 were 125 each, the rest were around 100. Then I looked inside. For the most part, the cylinders looked pretty good and confirmed that the pistons installed back in `78 are dished. Hooray! The joy lasted until I looked inside #8 and found a DEEP groove at about the 2 o'clock position, broken ring! :o

I doubt the cylinder can be bored enough so ultimately I will have to sleeve it. I intend to rebuild it as it is confirmed as the original block. For the short term, does anybody have a full flow 289 or even 259 that is in running condition that they would like to sell?

Thanks,

Kennie Buchanan

spokejr@sbcglobal.net

818-406-2361

Hi, Kennie,

What's your time frame? We could have a 259" built soon to tide you over. We could also sleeve your block and build it stock or improved to your specifications.

We get a good deal on shipping, so don't worry that we're in the northwest.

jack vines

The reason I was looking for an engine was to slip something in temporarily while I get the original rebuilt properly. I have access to a pretty good machinist near me and I have built a number myself, just never a Stude. I was just hoping to be able to run the car to San Luis Obispo in April for a car show as well as the San Marino classic in June. If someone might have an engine good to run now I could buy, to buy me the time to rebuild the original through the summer.

• 1 month later...

If this is for an Avanti it will be more trouble to put a temp engine in, instead of yanking yours and do it right.

The R-series engines vary from the standard Stude, the pulleys, the accessories, etc.

Tom

Archived