My new 1963 Avanti

rdmaxon

Well,my lovely wife "green lighted" me on the purchase of an Avanti. I have looked at as many as possible with my search focused on 1963 R-1s. This is a 1963 R-1 289,AT,noAC and manual windows. The manual windows are a plus IMO. I will possibly add A/C at some point in the future. The car is really solid. It needs little in the way of mechanicals to get it on the road and cosmetically is needs some interior work and it will need paint. I will repaint it turquoise. I didn't much care for it at first but now I've grown to like it alot,esp after SWMBO said she likes it.

As this is my first Studebaker and first Avanti I would certainly appreciate any suggestions or advise any of you might have.

I will try to post some pictures in a follow up message.

RD Maxon AOAI#031676M

Well,my lovely wife "green lighted" me on the purchase of an Avanti. I have looked at as many as possible with my search focused on 1963 R-1s. This is a 1963 R-1 289,AT,noAC and manual windows. As this is my first Studebaker and first Avanti I would certainly appreciate any suggestions or advise any of you might have.

Congrats on your purchase, feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Tom

Congrats! I've only had my Avanti since April and it is a fairly straightforward car to work on - fun to drive too! Since your Avanti has been sitting for a while you really need to flush out the brake system - you may be amazed what comes out of the lines. The three hydraulic flex hoses, two for the front and one for the back, rot from the inside out. When checking over all the hoses on the car do not forget to check the hoses coming out of the fuel tank. If the car has been in outdoor "storage" then you may also find a bit of rust scale inside the gas tank.

Thomas

Alright. Here are two pictures of my new 1963 Avanti. Although it doesn't show too well in the pictures it does need paint and some interior work. Firstly it needs an oil pan gasket and maybe a rear seal. It's leaking oil to the point that it has to be repaired.

For the curious out there,the two cars in the background with the covers on them are my two AMC Matador Coupes. Richard

63Avanti021.jpg

63Avanti017.jpg

Looks like a good Avanti, I'm sure you'll do it right.

I am extremely impressed with the way JDP conducts his Studebaker business. That he cared enough to put this one back on the road rather than cutting it up for parts speaks volumes about how much of a friend he is to the Studebaker and Avanti community.

Thomas

Thanks for the kind words folks. And,yes, this is the cheap Avanti that was discussed on the SDC site. I have also joined SDC and will join my local SDC club directly. JDP is straight up. I like the way he does things. RD

RD,

Do you belong to any of the AMC clubs? I have a real close friend that has been a member for a long time.

He has several cars and even road-races one. :)

Dan Miller

RD,

Do you belong to any of the AMC clubs? I have a real close friend that has been a member for a long time.

He has several cars and even road-races one. :)

Dan Miller

I do belong to AMO and Carolina AMC. I haven't participated in them as much as I would like,mainly because my Matadors haven't been roadworthy for a while. I should have them back rolling soon. Richard

I do belong to AMO and Carolina AMC. I haven't participated in them as much as I would like,mainly because my Matadors haven't been roadworthy for a while. I should have them back rolling soon. Richard

Richard,

Being a AMO member, you MUST have attended the "National" last year in Atlanta , no? My friend was one of the key people putting that together. I was impressed! lots of nice cars and parts too. Good luck with your new "prize possession" :)

Dan

Richard,

Being a AMO member, you MUST have attended the "National" last year in Atlanta , no? My friend was one of the key people putting that together. I was impressed! lots of nice cars and parts too. Good luck with your new "prize possession" :)

Dan

I hated that I had to miss the Nationals in Atlanta. I did make it to the Regional show in Greensboro. It was a good one. Once the coupes are back on the road I will be participating more and I will of course participate in AOAI and SDC as well. Richard