Installing a Vintage Age Evaporator Kit Part 1

IndyJimW

I am replacing my original HVAC system with a Vintage Air Evaporator Kit. I have already replace my condenser and pump with R134a models.

I removed my seats and center console to get access to the evaporator and heater core case. It was a huge cobbled up affair that can only be removed in one piece with the dash removed. I didn't take my dash apart and removed the case in several pieces.

412060899.jpg

The hole for the heater hoses was behind the distributor cap, I covered it with a piece of sheet metal and painted it black. The square hole left in the dash is from the A/C lines.

http://www.vintageair.com/

After studying the Vintage Air website I decided to purchase a kit instead of the pieces separately. The kit would give me a template for the firewall, brackets, hard lines from the case to the firewall, firewall grommets and extra hoses and vents. The kit is not much more then the GenIV case and controllor.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-754181

I purchased kit PN 754181 for an 81-87 Chevy pickup with A/C from Summit Racing.

The kit DOES NOT come with the condenser and dryer as shown in the picture.

412060905.jpg

This picture shows the GENIV case with brackets installed and the firewall template. I have placed white stickers over the alignment holes to show where the bolts will go. I will cut down the plate to fit my 1987 Avanti firewall.

412060898.jpg

This picture shows the original dash controller and the new controller. The new controller will have to be modified to fit the opening. I have already drilled out the 4 rivets and changed their direction so the controller will fit flush. I will have to open up the controller hole in the dash sheet metal and then the new controller will sit between the dash veneer and the dash sheet metal.

I will update as I move this project along.

Happy motoring,

Jim Wood