different Production Order ques.

GlennW

Seeing a recent Production Order topic reminded me of a nagging question I've had regarding my own car, a '64 R1.

My PO's DESTINATION line shows SOUTH BEND INDIANA and the SHIP VIA one says 2 ENGR.

Anybody else have this on their PO sheet? I believe I'm the 4th (and 6th, but that's a different story) owner of the car, and the person who claimed to be the 2nd owner told me the original buyer was an engineer at Studebaker. Considering the car was ordered in mid September and the plant closed at the end of December, I've often wondered if he knew he'd be unemployed shortly and bought anyway, was oblivious/in denial and got taken by surprise, or even if some employees got really great deals near the end. Anybody else got 2 ENGR for a SHIP VIA?

Edited by GlennW

I believe that means the car was sent to the engineering department for some reason. That may or may not be added by hand to the production order. Whether it was destined for someone specifically to buy I've no idea. It makes for a nice story, though. I would think the engineering department wanted it for use as some kind of mule for an engineering change.

I think that it was sent to engineering for some type of correction, change or evaluation. If it was sold to someone in engineering, I believe that it would say "sold - rush" and perhaps an individual's name along with a location of a storage lot in South Bend and "prep for retail delivery".

Thanks guys, appreciate the insight. FWIW the 2 ENG and everything else is all typed in the same on the PO sheet. That's a good point on no notes about "who's doing dealer prep?" but I have no idea if that would have been on the PO (or even needed) if it was destined for in-house delivery. I suppose that could have even been paper-clipped to the PO, or moot if whomever was receiving it in engineering already knew the plan. I have the vehicle inspection checkoff sheet and don't see anything to indicate any special stuff, only a ton of shoddy assembly details that had to be dealt with. The body sheet was dated 9/30/63, and the chassis sheet was 10/1/63 but I don't have anything to tell me when it was actually titled and on the road, so who knows if it sat in Engineering for 20 minutes or 20 days. Maybe I have a suspicious mind after living in Kenosha, WI where the Rambler/American Motors cars were built. I know of two Ramblers that were diverted off the line for "official reasons" and were never seen again (officially) after the paperwork went missing, too.

Edited by GlennW

Back in the early 1970's at the GM Corvette assembly plant in St. Louis, a supervisor wanted an LT-1 Corvette with a/c, which wasn't available with that engine at the time. He created paperwork to have one built like he wanted but wasn't listed as such in the legit paperwork. Once it was built, a higher supervisor who would normally pick a Corvette at random to drive home to test the quality control of what was going out the door just happened to pick that car.

When he started the car he immediately became alarmed when the oil pressure needle pegged out. An LT-1 used a 80 psi gauge...the standard Corvette used a 60 psi unit. He shut the car down and had it investigated. When the truth came out the supervisor who had the car built lost his job. The car sent back to be properly equipped with a lesser 350 engine.

If that one was caught by random chance...how many might have gotten out the door without being caught? Could the same thing have happened at Studebaker?

Back in the early 1970's at the GM Corvette assembly plant in St. Louis, a supervisor wanted an LT-1 Corvette with a/c, which wasn't available with that engine at the time. He created paperwork to have one built like he wanted but wasn't listed as such in the legit paperwork. Once it was built, a higher supervisor who would normally pick a Corvette at random to drive home to test the quality control of what was going out the door just happened to pick that car.

When he started the car he immediately became alarmed when the oil pressure needle pegged out. An LT-1 used a 80 psi gauge...the standard Corvette used a 60 psi unit. He shut the car down and had it investigated. When the truth came out the supervisor who had the car built lost his job. The car sent back to be properly equipped with a lesser 350 engine.

If that one was caught by random chance...how many might have gotten out the door without being caught? Could the same thing have happened at Studebaker?

Ouch! That turned into one very expensive 'vette :o I imagine it happened/happens everywhere. I know that back in the late '70s when electronic tunning car radios were just coming out, if you wanted one for your Jeep Wagoneer it was a $500 option at the dealer and $50 at one of the taverns across the street from the plant.

Big car dealerships in Chicago in the 70's used to have employees "friends" come in & special order cars fully loaded. The cars upon delivery would then disappear into a far corner of the lot. Parts would them mysteriously re-appear on the employees cars. Engines, transmissions, seats, & trim etc.

Even Johnny Cash seemed to be in on it .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM

This kind of thing was common back in the day. But I have to admit that Gunslingers Corvette story adds an even bolder twist.