Anyone reproducing the Body Number Plate?

mtgibby

I understand your desire to add that 'missing touch' to your Avanti,.....but over on the SDC Forum this has become a very 'touchy' subject!

Some folks feel that reproducing Studebaker serial and body number tags is a great idea, enabling an owner to replace lost ones (such as yours) or replace shabby or damaged ones.

Others feel that once reproduction plates/tags such as these become readily available, it would become too easy for a dishonest person to misrepresent a vehicle.

I guess the jury is still out on this one!!

Jerry Keurtz(sp)? Has the zinc plates and dies to make new body tags. He is the go to guy for Studebaker manual transmissions.

As we ALL know, number tags can be damaged, stolen or misplaced during a cars life, and for those of us wishing to PROPERLY RESTORE a vehicle, they should be replaced to maintain FACTORY correctness. There are two different types of body number tags, the larger type as most Studebakers had, or thin "streamer" types similar to the option streamers on some vehicles.

I understand the sensitivity of the subject. I come from the classic (Austin/Morris/Innocenti) where the cars were produced for 41 years, and complete new shells were available from the factory. So the re-shelling of a rusted or wrecked Mini would often lead to re-vining, which is illeagal. This is why you see 1968 Austin Minis on eBay with fuel injection and airbags!

I was hoping against hope to find the plate in one of the boxes, but no such luck.

Thanks for the leads. I will follow up on them!

Jerry Keurtz(sp)? Has the zinc plates and dies to make new body tags. He is the go to guy for Studebaker manual transmissions.

As we ALL know, number tags can be damaged, stolen or misplaced during a cars life, and for those of us wishing to PROPERLY RESTORE a vehicle, they should be replaced to maintain FACTORY correctness. There are two different types of body number tags, the larger type as most Studebakers had, or thin "streamer" types similar to the option streamers on some vehicles.

I don't believe Studebaker ever put 'streamers' on any of the Avantis they built brad....Do you know of any?

Ed, I have one in the shop right now, and it has the thin "streamer" type of body number plate. It is identical to a few others that I have restored (except for numbers of course)

I'll get some pictures, and post them tomorrow

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ed, I have one in the shop right now, and it has the thin "streamer" type of body number plate. It is identical to a few others that I have restored (except for numbers of course)

I'll get some pictures, and post them tomorrow

That is interesting!.....I've only seen the 'normal' body tags on the many Avantis I've looked at over the years......I would enjoy seeing a photo of that 'streamer' type Avanti body tag!