Avanti Stumps Valet

BillCA63R1

Late in the afternoon, on our way to a fund-raising event at a private residence, my wife cautioned me that all parking was being done by valet. I assured her that these drivers had seen everything and could certainly handle our Avanti. Upon arrival I handed over the keys and the valet driver confidently parked our car across the street.

When we were ready to leave, several hours later, I watched as our car began to move forward in the dark, and then stopped, displaying only the brake lights. It became apparent that the driver was struggling to find the headlight switch! By the time two other valets joined in the effort, the windshield wipers were working and the heater blower was blasting, but still no lights.

The three of them finally guided the Avanti back across the street and, with the push of the right button, my wife and I were on our way.

I often purposely drive my Avanti to upscale meetings or fun raisers. My 1975 looks OK, but it is $10,000 car. I have great fun tweaking these self absorbed people with their $150,000 to $300,000 custom Caddies or some EURO car which I can not pronounce the name. Often the valet guys will park my old Avant right out from in their favorite spot of honor. And, as you describe the people just love it and ask questions.

Coco Chanel is right

Joe