8 Seriously Undervalued Cars That Should Be Classics

lschuc

"Those subsequent Avantis, produced until 2006, were merely a shadow of the real deal, and likely aren't undervalued -- however low that value may be -- but the original is a true American classic."

Wow, what a slap in the face!

"Those subsequent Avantis, produced until 2006, were merely a shadow of the real deal, and likely aren't undervalued -- however low that value may be -- but the original is a true American classic."

Wow, what a slap in the face!

Agreed Warren, But you have to take into account of the uninformed subjective ignorance of the individual writer.

10 different writers would've come up with 10 different cars.

But articles such as this are what help to enlighten the general public to a 50 year old car from a marque that has been out of business for just as long.

So I guess that any publicity beats no publicity....

The writer certainly could have used kinder wording, but I think he's trying to say that the original item,everything else being equal, will usually bring more $$$$$$.

He's probably correct about that....Although us 'insiders' know that the later Avanti ll's were actually 'much more car' than the original Studebaker Avanti!

They also cost a lot more when new!

Car magazine reviews of the Avanti II were kinder and much more complimentary than many reviews of the Studebaker built Avantis. By that point, though...many of the original construction and quality issues Studebaker faced were ironed out plus the target market for the II was probably more right on than Studebaker's considering the MSRP of the car.

Since Studebaker folded as a car maker we'll never know what changes and upgrades they would have made to the Avanti if they had survived and the Avanti not been discontinued.

It would be interesting to know if the author chose his words carefully, poorly or was just guessing. To be sure, there's no long line that I know of to buy any year Avanti in a big buck bidding war, but we could probably debate at length if the long line of failed "later Avanti" companies' offerings kept the '63-'64 ones from becoming rare and sought after i.e. pricey. Yes, the later cars were "more car" but depending on one's criteria I suppose the same could be said for a Mustang II. Like many early 60s cars, later bumper laws made every mfr make some styling changes and if Stude had stayed around, their Avanti would have been no exception. Anybody think a later model E-Type Jag ever looked better than the first ones with the original "useless" bumperettes and covered headlamps?