Air dam

IndyJimW

Heard that a Saturn air dam would fit the Avanti but couldn't find the info, so I visited my friendly Saturn dealer and picked this up.

145942293.jpg

Deflector PN#21031161 $20.25 w/tax

This is the large deflector for the S models, the smaller deflector is less than $7.00.

Here's before.

145942298.jpg

Here's after.

145942305.jpg

The guys in the shop say it makes the car look too happy. :D I haven't riveted it in yet, I'm going to put it on the lift and take pictures of the install.

Jim

"happy" .. thats funny you say that. I think that ALL Studebakers have a "happy" look to them,

the Avanti darn near "Stay Puff Marshmellow" happy! No where is this MORE apparent as with

the 63 Avanti, with its round "eyes" and that rounded smile under the bumper air intake. Can it

be bloted into place? I hate using rivots, since replacement is a pain. How is it on road dipps?

My Impala SS scraps the stock 3 piece air dam on almost EVERY rain gutter, its stock height!

Tom

Should be able to bolt up fine, the piece has a 1 inch lip. In the before shot that flat bar across the bottom is the radiator support, I'd say there is about 4 inchs of clearance, so there should be plenty of clearance for road dips.

Jim

• 5 weeks later...

I purchased the other Saturn deflector ( PN# 21030181 - $5.52) and installed it to see the difference.

154974686.jpg

I do believe I like it better, if you remove the body screws to the lower radiator frame, it will slide right into place with no modifications needed.

154974713.jpg

I have over 7 inchs of ground clearance, thats with 2 inch drop spindles. It also hides the lower radiator frame on my '87 Avanti while dropping down about 3 more inches into the air stream.

Jim

I purchased the other Saturn deflector ( PN# 21030181 - $5.52) and installed it to see the difference.

I do believe I like it better, if you remove the body screws to the lower radiator frame, it will slide right into place with no modifications needed.

I have over 7 inchs of ground clearance, thats with 2 inch drop spindles. It also hides the lower radiator frame on my '87 Avanti while dropping down about 3 more inches into the air stream.

Jim

Sounds really good, I like the "no mods" part. I wonder if it will fit the Studebaker frame also??

Tom

:) I really do like the look. Does anyone know how it would work on an 84 with the Stude chassis? :huh:

Charlie RQB-3921

I mounted the deflector to the bottom radiator frame, its a 1" square tube at the rear on the grille opening. The rear of the grille opening screws to the radiator frame, I removed the screws and slid the deflector between the grille body and radiator frame. I came up with about three different ways to mount the deflector but this looked the best to me, none would take over 15 mins. Not bad for $6.00. :lol:

Jim