Lost R3 Avantis?

mfg

Does anyone know if all nine of the factory R3 Studebaker Avantis have been accounted for? (Whether they still exist or not)

I know the last two built still exist and are in prime shape,...and Brad has mentioned that he restored another of the nine....first one built I think he said.

But how about the other six????

If you were at St Louis you would have seen the first R-3 R 5089. Others are : R 5237, R 5394 , R 5532 , R 5546 , R 5593 , R 5625 , R 5642 , R 5643 . If you have an AOAI roster you could research this in the numerical listings. 5089 is under restoration and you will see an article in a future Avanti Magazine. Lou Cote President Club Avanti Northwest

The factory prototype, 63R-1025 is being restored. It is in my hanger in Maine. It was the Hot Rod Magazine 1st R3 road test car.

Delivered to Paxton in July 1962 as an R2 automatic, and converted by Studebaker/Paxton into a 299CID R3.

It was invoiced to Paxton in 1964, until then it was owned by Studebaker and had California Manufacturer plates.

Ron, when you get a chance read posts #'s 19--24--26 & 30 on the thread: "How much of a car do you need to restore it" under 'General Discussion' over on the SDC FORUM.

.......Ed

Edited by mfg