Saturn Air Dam

Billy Shears

I am aware of the longstanding practice of adding the Saturn air dam to the bottom of the Avanti's radiator support, to deflect more air up into the radiator, rather than allowing it to pass beneath the car. Problem is this is now a discontinued part. I was wondering if anyone had discovered any good alternatives?

It's a GM part number. I don't have it handy right now but can get it tomorrow. Just go to a GM parts counter and with that number, they can computer search distribution centers and dealers nationwide and see if any are sitting and collecting dust. If so, you can either have it sent in from the distribution center or you can call any dealers who have it and get it shipped directly to you.

I've done that before and parts managers are usually very happy to get rid of discontinued parts like that. They may even give you a discount...particularly if they have more than one to sell.

Thanks, I have the part number. (In fact I think that there are two people have used -- one is slightly shorter.) I've tried ordering online, and no joy. I actually placed the order with GM Wholesale Direct. The order was confirmed, and then, a few days later: "The part you ordered has been discontinued and is no longer available from GM. Unfortunately I have no other sources for this part and am therefore forced to cancel your order and refund the full amount of your order. I apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused."

If they can't get it, I have to wonder if my local parts center will have any better luck. Frankly, I'm not optimistic.

I actually have one I got off a junked car, and it's serviceable, but it's pretty scratched up, and one corner is worn down, so I'd like a new one. Problem is they no longer seem to be obtainable.

A dealer somewhere may still have one in inventory. It could be worth the time to go to a GM dealer's parts counter and ask them to check their nationwide GM database to find out. Just because GM Wholesale doesn't have it doesn't mean a dealer doesn't.

There are SOOOO many dead Saturn's in salvage (junk) yards all over this country that it really shouldn't be too hard to locate one. You probably can be "picky" & choose a really nice one ! Our president's "cash for clunkers" has seen to that !!!

Both have been discontinued. The short defector PN 21030181 is not available. The long defector PN 21031161 is still available at some dealers. Your local GM dealer should be able to get one.

I have the long one installed on my car...I've no experience with the smaller one. Besides being longer, it's also taller top to bottom. I would think it may channel more air up into the radiator at the slight expense of less ground clearance.

Well, I'll see if I can get one from a local GM dealer's parts department. If not, I have the salvaged one I managed to get, though as I said, I really want something that doesn't look so shabby. I was hoping to hear of some alternatives, just in case, and for future reference for other Avanti owners. After all, with these parts discontinued, it's only a matter of time before new ones can't be located at all, and it would be nice to have other options. Just looking at it, it seems like the air dam from the '93-'02 Camaro and Firebird could be made to fit, if some material at either end were cut away, but I don't know -- that one would have to attach to the front of the radiator support, instead of the bottom, and I'd have to look to see if that's possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not buy the long one (since it's still available for about $12) and cut it down. the most important part is the bend along the top to attach it to the radiator support.

Safe motoring,

Jim Wood

Guest Larry Delazzer

Why not buy the long one (since it's still available for about $12) and cut it down. the most important part is the bend along the top to attach it to the radiator support.

Safe motoring,

Jim Wood

Hi Jim, where do you find one for $12, I would give cutting it down a try, thanks

Larry

Hey PaulK. Repeated efforts to post pics here have led to nothing.

As small as I can make they the system tells me they are too large to post.

RQB3263...I fabed my own out of .090 aluminum also incorp. ducts to alum double pass trans cooler...glad to send pics Wildfelr@copper.net....or 386-466-6434 C...I just returned from a 3300 mile road trip where the max temp was 190 degrees.....all my cooling system mods work great......BILL GREGG RQB3263....(UNABLE TO ATTACH PICS HERE ....FILE TOOOO BIG I GUESS )

Out of curiosity, has anyone who has installed these things noticed any problems in the event the car has to be towed? As in, the tow truck damages the air dam when the hook is fasted on and the winch starts to pull the car onto the flatbed?

Why would you ever need to tow an Avanti?

These are a soft plastic, mine is held on with 2 rivets. Easy to remove or bend.

Ran thru a deep puddle on my lot today, a lot of steam and water drained out of the engine compartment for a half hour. If it directs that much air its doing a great job.

Safe Motoring,

Jim Wood

Why would you ever need to tow an Avanti?

Well, once it was because my starter motor died. Once it was because the fuel pump died. Once it was because of an issue with the carburetor (this was just after I put Nimesh Solanki's engine in the car) and the car would quit once it got warm, and the old starter (the one that eventually died altogether), wouldn't start it when the car was warm.

These are old cars. They break down sometimes. Sometimes in ways you can't fix on the roadside when it happens. That's what I have AAA for.

Edited by Billy Shears