Another surprise....

Ntenna

Rear axle oil change for the first time. Original T-T car. Unexpected stripe on the T-T clutch pack. Turned out to be the filler plug screwed too far in. On this Stude Dana 44, the clutch pack comes very close to the cover plate. Add a loose-ish plug thread and the plug easily hits the rotating stuff. Was there a deeper-dish cover for Twin-Traction axles and maybe this axle has a non- TT cover? Meanwhile, extra teflon tape has solved the problem for now. Glad I have not driven any before looking at this.

IMG_1913.thumb.jpeg.8c04b799dc29a49cbf0db7a6677499e6.jpeg

There is not a different cover. 

Perhaps you could try a new plug or grind a bit off the end of the existing plug.  The TT is close.  One way to check for TT is to put your finger in the plug hole.  If your finger hits something right away, you have TT.

If you want a different cover there should be plenty available for a Dana 44 housing from the 4X4 community. Realistically, I'd take some material off the plug base and move on. You could also measure the OD of the base and go to a Big Box store and see if they have a larger one in their inventory. Not all plugs are threaded to the same depth so I'll bet there are ones that will fit better. Your cover could also have the threads opened up by overtightening. Several ways to reduce the problem.

Thanks folks. Appreciate the info and ideas. Im betting on past over-tightening as the cover is otherwise in excellent shape. I do believe I will grind it off some better way than using the clutch pack LOL!