Tires

I searched and couldn't find anything that I was happy with in that size, its and old tire size that the tire companies have moved away from, so finding all three could be hard. But like Meatloaf sang "Two out of three ain't bad." :lol:

I would suggest looking at a 70 series, or a 65 series tire. A tire shop can tell you

which tire size will have the same rolling diameter as the 205/75. It may ride a

little more harsh, but you will like the quicker response from the steering wheel.

Tom

Are you looking for a strictly performance tire or a touring style tire? A lot depends on how you plan on driving your car (I used to sell tires).

Most tire technology today, especially for performance, is geared toward the 16", 17" and bigger diameter tires. It's much more difficult to find performance tires in the 15" sizes that match up to the others today.

If you decide on a 70 series instead of a 75 series, you do have some good options. If you want white letter tires, an excellent way to go is the BFG Radial T/A. I've heard good reports on the Firestone Firehawk as well, but dollar for dollar, I think the BFG is hard to beat. I've heard less positive experiences with some of the Goodyear tires.

If you want a whitewall, as I did on a '69 Corvette I own, I bought Cooper Touring tires...the Lifeliner SLE...an excellent tire and I've been very pleased with them.

If you want redline tires, look at Coker Tires. They have excellent products but aren't inexpensive, but redline tires give a car a really sharp look.

If you want blackwalls, it doesn't much matter!

There are some excellent private label tires out there as well...all made by the big manufacturers. There isn't any Mom and Pop or backyard tire makers. Many private label tires (like Pep Boys own) are made by Cooper. The disadvantage to private label tires is if you travel a lot and have a tire problem that would require a warranty replacement, etc. If you can't find a dealer in that brand, you're out of luck.

I say stick with the major brands for the most part...Michelin, BFG, Cooper, Goodyear, Firestone, Dunlop, etc. Go with companies like Coker if you want the vintage look or the redline tires...they even make goldline in some sizes.

Let us know what you decide on.

I'm looking to replace the tires on my 1985 Avanti, looking for excellent performing, smooth riding, quiet, tire. Price is second to quality. What is the best?

Thanks

I'd suggest you play around at Tirerack.com.

215/70-15 is probably the tire to look at unless you are willing to buy

new rims in a larger size.

Pirelli P4000 is the logical choice in a reasonably-priced performance 215/70-15 tire.

I am currently in a similar situation: deciding on tires for 2 Avanti's.

My desire for a quiet/smooth ride rules out most performance tires.

In my case, I am much more concerned with a smooth quiet ride, as my

driving habits are rather sedate in my old age; I almost never drive in

snow or rain, nor do I exceed 80mph. I want to stay close to the stock size,

keep my current rims, and avoid the white-letter "bling".

Haven't made my final choices yet, but here's MY short list...

Yokohama Avid Touring white-stripe (I'm addicted to the "classic" look; S-rated)

Hankook Mileage Plus II H-725 (S-rated?; cheap at $300/set mounted, yet well-rated by Consumers Report)

Michelin X Radial (S-rated?; but I'd have to join Costco or another shopping club store to get these)

Goodyear Assurance TripleTred (T-rated; smoothest tire on my list, but more $$ than I wish to spend)

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred (T-rated; I have these on a Camry I own, and like them)

Wayne

Edited by WayneC

In my case, I am much more concerned with a smooth quiet ride, as my

driving habits are rather sedate in my old age

Sounds like I need to egg you on!! Dangit! Lead foot and hard through the turns

till the day I die! :PB)

I was going to give you a call on friday, I drove the Avanti to work, and then went

to In N Out Burger. That car gets big time attention. I chickened out on calling you

though, I just dont trust that car driving on that road to your house, not the brakes,

but that darn transmission, groaning power steering and I think I heard Chewbacca :o

A Camry? Wayne, Wayne, Wayne ..... gone to the dark side. :unsure:

You still havent replied to my reply to your post about repairs ...... :blink:

Tom

Edited by SBCA96

A Camry? Wayne, Wayne, Wayne ..... gone to the dark side. :unsure:

It was my aunt's car, which I purchased when she went into a nursing home; it's a 1993 with 30k miles. Just another member of the fleet.

You still havent replied to my reply to your post about repairs ......

I'll take a look, didn't realize there was anything needing a reply.