Door and vent window adjustment?

Jim S

On the 87 models, is there any wiggle room to adjust the door for a tighter fit at the windshield/vent window?  Mine is leaning out almost a half inch and the wind noise is awful!  I took off the door panel and did not see any access.  Any input and photos would be greatly appreciated.

The door is adjustable as is the vent frame. I would recommend you get a shop manual from Studebaker International, it will explain the procedure.

My 87 Avanti drivers door was out about half an inch at the top. Tried for years to adjust it, if the door was flush you couldn't open it. Turned out the upper hinge was bent wrong from the factory. Replaced the hinge and no more problems.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

There are adjustments for fore and aft, and inwards tilt. The shop manual covers it somewhat. There are 9/16" nuts with slotted studs they go over. loosen the nuts, and unscrew the stud and check adjustment then tighten the nuts to hold adjustment.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank-you for the information.  Since my car is on the 87 Monte Carlo G chassis, is the original Avanti shop manual still worth getting?  I know Studebaker cars inside and out, but there is not much Stude left in this car!

Thank-you.  I found the vent window adjustments you spoke of.  The top one was frozen and I could not turn it at all.  The bottom one was too, however I was able to grab the disc part with vise grips and break it free.  In the end, I could not move it in enough to make a difference.  Also as you can see by the attached photos, the door is way out from the body.  There are no shims where the hinges attach to the door.  So I don't know how I could possibly bring it in.  As you can see, the top of the vent is about an inch out from the windshield pillar and the bottom is about a quarter inch out.  It looks awful and I had to put a thick piece of rubber over the existing rubber just to seal out the wind!  Did these cars actually leave the factory this bad?

jamesstanton064@gmail.com

Gap 2 - Copy.jpg

Gap 1 - Copy.jpg

I purchased a 1987 new.  There were quality issues, but I do not remember anything that was anywhere near as bad as what you show.  Has your car been hit or worked on in the past 34 years?    

21 hours ago, studegary said:

I purchased a 1987 new.  There were quality issues, but I do not remember anything that was anywhere near as bad as what you show.  Has your car been hit or worked on in the past 34 years?    

I am unaware of any previous work.  There were two previous owners.  There are cracks on top of the front fenders above both wheel wells.  I suspect it may have had a hit at one time.

The drivers door on my 1987 Avanti stuck out just like that, paint was stripped off of the door by the wind. After years of fighting the adjustment I replaced the upper hinge, shuts great now. Door is signed and dated on the inside by one of the factory workers, so I know the door is original. On the 1987 they used an aluminum hinge that is twice as thick as the Studebaker steel hinge. I used the Studebaker steel hinge with my mounting bracket because the Studebaker bracket was bent at a different angle at the door post. The picture is my original hinge and Studebaker bracket, parts I didn't use. When I placed the Studebaker hinge over my hinge you could tell they were bent different.

UpperHinge.JPG.7794b43096c9b088231a564f6d4fe06a.JPG

Both my front fenders were cracked at the middle of the wheel well, seems to be a common problem.

If you want you can have my old drivers door hinge, then both of your doors will stick out and match.😁

Good luck,

Jim Wood

Edited by IndyJimW