Driving around the 4 wheel disc Avanti

SBCA96

Today I bled the brakes again, and went for a drive. The black Avanti was turning

heads around town with the new rims obviously making quite an impression. I went

by to drop off a hub puller that I had borrowed to put the rear discs on, and just

did some cruising. With the infinately better brakes, I feel more safe tooling up

and down the roads. The old brakes were so bad, that it was kinda worrysome if

it would stop the next time I hit them! The 3 spd trans has GOT to go, but it gets

the job done for now (barely). I have SUCH a renewed interest in the car now. If

I had not got the new rims, I might have sold it. I was actually toying with the idea

of selling the Avanti, Camaro Z28 AND the Impala SS, and getting a new GTO. I am

glad that I didnt, and with the brake project getting close to finished (still need to

put on the 13 inch zinc plated cross drilled and slotted rotors with the aluminum 2

piston calipers) I can focus more on the exhaust. I need to replace it, and do

the bumpers before the show this year. The exhaust is in VERY sorry condition,

not just in the rust scale, but the quality of the bends, each bend is terribly

crimped & VERY restictive. The bumpers need to be rechromed, the rear is peeling.

I think that with the new rims/tires, the 4 wheel disc brakes, rechromed bumpers,

paint fixed on the pass rear fender, and a new exhaust, I should be able to WIN at

this next years Police sponsored car show. 2 years ago I lost to a '50 4 door

that was a complete restoration, nice car, but still. Last year I lost to a 61

Lark wagon! An Avanti losing to a Wagon! NO! This is why things needed to be

happening this year. I have done MORE work on the car since the car show, then in

the last 12 years or so I have had the car.

So with the response that I got today with potential whiplash receipients, I can

pretty much assume that I will get a better pull on the popular vote.

Tom

Great to hear about the brakes, I'm planning rear discs soon. Just curious, could you use one of the universal mandrel bend exhaust kits offered by Summit?

Just curious, could you use one of the universal mandrel bend exhaust kits offered by Summit?

Probably ... but .. it would be more work. I think that at the very least I will

get a Silvertone 2 1/4 exhaust

Keep the Impala SS. I have the Impala SS in a tuxedo, namely a '95 Fleetwood, with SS springs, HO sway bars and some other upgrades.

I consider my '81 Avanti the old man's Camaro.

yah .. I enjoy it .. I was trying to get my father-in-law to get a 94-96 Fleetwood.

Tom