#05 engine

wildfelr

RQB3263 1981 AVANTI II....Enlighten me on these "lock-up" torque converters...I used one on the last hot rod I built...700R4 on a 12 cyl Seagrave/Pierce Arrow 1939 flathead engine ...But im not sure I want to mess with it this time around....What is used on factory stock Avanti with 700R4 trans ??...thats probably the way ill go ...Chat me up Wizzards !!!....BILL RQB 3263...

Bill,

You want the lock-up. It is a simple solenoid activated pin that is internal to the 700R4. I would guess virtually all 700R4s have or had them. The torque converters have a hole/slot that accepts the pin. It would not add $50 vs. not having it, very common.

The advantages is if you are cruising, the lock-up in effect creates a mechanical drive vs. the slush pump only. The rpms decrease 200-300 and the tranny runs cooler because there is no fluid molecular compressibility. I have no controller on mine, just a simple toggle to power the 12V to the solenoid when at cruise. I have several friends that run them with no vacuum or speed switch, just hot wired all the time.

Joe

Thanks Joe:....I guess then thats what ill do.....when the time comes...on my other hot rod i have one and it works exactly as you describe..it very seldom see highway speed ....with a toggle switch ...but i have to remember to un-toggle it at lights...i will need to wire this one automatic ...THANKS...RQB3263

Thanks Joe:....I guess then thats what ill do.....when the time comes...on my other hot rod i have one and it works exactly as you describe..it very seldom see highway speed ....with a toggle switch ...but i have to remember to un-toggle it at lights...i will need to wire this one automatic ...THANKS...RQB3263

Bill, these little vacuum switch work good, when accelerate pin retracts (no lock up), at cruise lock-up. $30 here you go

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-cmp3766b/overview/

Joe

Wildfeir, The trans shop can set it up by pressure or speed as well without any external switch is what I had done when I had the 200R4 installed. I also switched out the shift indicator plate that has 1,2,D,N,R, P on it for the later plate having 1,2,3,D,N.R,D. Driving in town, I usually shift it into 3 instead of drive and it acts like a THM 400 3 speed trans. When the trans is locked up and I start to decelerate,to the point where it about to start lugging, I'll pull the shifter back to 3 to disengage it. Its not necessary at highway speeds, but bumper to bumper traffic on the highway, I'll leave it in 3 until the speeds get back to normal highway speed.

• 1 month later...

RQB3263...Trans conversion to 700r4 complete (almost)...on the road but still needs some alignment work on rear trans mount ...may get that today..so here is the final on that project ..i think....it was a difficult do...$1350 plus $200 misc...the shift quadrant on the trans had to be modified and the replacement i purchased was worthless....although the shift rod from the same supplier worked just fine...the original quadrant is made of hardened steel and cannot be redrilled and the geometry is different too so it req cutting and welding..so....45mph in 4th is 1150rpm and.70 mph in 4th lockup is 1750rpm im sure glad i put the Crane torque cam and lifters in last month....im not sure the 305 would have the b____ guts to pull at that low rpm....well it all works fine....so now mod to rear crossmember then new mufflers maybe friday...RQB3263....BILL

Bill, after you get used to the 700R4, you'll be happy with it. I had the 200R4 set up in my 76 to lock up by pressure, but in town, I just pull the shift lever from 4th to 3rd and it functions exactly like the Turbo-hydramatic 400 in drive. On the highway, when I'm slowing down for a stop sign, I'll pull it back into 3rd so it doesn't lug down and chug. MPG increase should impress you as well. Good luck with it.

Edited by plwindish

• 1 month later...

RQB3263...Just finished a 3300 mile Avanti road trip...With all the work described above and more...(eng., trans., a/c., cooling etc) it preformed perfectly !!! I have switched to Rotella T 15w40 oil to get the zink additive not in auto oil....and had a very good stay with the Myer's Studebaker folks in Ohio...where I got the p/s valve and cylinder rebuilt and new rear springs, front shocks, alignment, head light covers, rear brake flex hose, front shocks, rear sway bar mounts, and more....great folks....there is no substitute for taking it to the crew that really knows there stuff...and I didnt have to pay freight or get dirty even once...After the alignment the steering wheel was not "clocked" correctly...I disassemble it and re-drilled the hole 7/16 inch for the horn contractor to come thru and that fixed that.. Its getting close to time for interior and paint (maybe just a touch-up)....RQB3263 BILL