Grille for '63

iowatom

I've been told the earlier Avanti didn't come with a grille from the factory. Mine has none, which I'd like to remedy for the sake of my radiator should something come bouncing it's way. Is it possible to find one, or is that something like hen's teeth? Thanks!

I understand the radiator protection, but as I feel a 'round light' Studebaker Avanti looks much more 'aggresive' without the grille,....I don't have one on my '63. (And have covered a lot of miles in the car without any radiator issues

Suggestion....How about just adding black window screening under the nose panel directly in front of the radiator core?.....That would give you the protection you want without adding the stainless grille!

Excellent suggestions. I have been pondering this question for a while but did NOT want to make any extra holes in the front panel. I just had a look at the car as it sits on the hoist and I can see a way to install an expanded metal and blacked out grill (or something else close looking) in the existing holes on the rad bracket that will protect my grill and not make any changes to the panels.

This might not work for an R1 with air conditioning. I think the holes I will be using are for the condenser....

OK. So why not still use them?.

These predrilled mounts will do for me . When I get time I will have a screen mounted in front of the radiator and be just a little bit less worried about catching a stray rock... Now a stray dog is a totally different problem!.

post-10387-0-47260500-1424225831_thumb.jpg

Edited by StudeNorm

I removed the grille from my 'Round64' to return the car's appearance to the intent of the original designers: minimal use of chrome or other ornamentation. I think it likely that the grille was added by Studebaker for marketing reasons rather than to stop any rash of road-rage-rocks.

The discussion of trailering or driving to events reminds me of what you can do to protect the front end when driving. Three years ago I had the "Invisible Bra", a 3 M product put on the front end of my 76. It saved a lot of touch up work on the front end. The car is in the shop getting painted over the winter (last paint was put on in 1989). I will again have the Invisible bra put on the car's front end as well as behind all 4 wheels on the lower part of the fenders where rocks can be thrown off the tires.

The discussion of trailering or driving to events reminds me of what you can do to protect the front end when driving. Three years ago I had the "Invisible Bra", a 3 M product put on the front end of my 76. It saved a lot of touch up work on the front end. The car is in the shop getting painted over the winter (last paint was put on in 1989). I will again have the Invisible bra put on the car's front end as well as behind all 4 wheels on the lower part of the fenders where rocks can be thrown off the tires.

That's very sensible. 'Road Rash' happens almost instantly on that grilless painted Avanti nose panel.....Very dissapointing after spending for a new paint job.

I removed the grille from my 'Round64' to return the car's appearance to the intent of the original designers: minimal use of chrome or other ornamentation. I think it likely that the grille was added by Studebaker for marketing reasons rather than to stop any rash of road-rage-rocks.

I agree with you that the original 'round light' Avantis really don't benefit (in the 'looks' department) from the stainless steel grille. On the other hand, to me, a 'square light' Avanti looks 'naked' without one!

Where did you purchase your invisible bra?

You might check with 3M to find authorized installers. I had the invisible bra installed on my '02 Avanti as there no conventional bras available for it. The local installer didn't want to do it...they only installed pre-cut kits. They referred me to their larger store about forty miles away...their boss is a master installer and instructor for doing so. He custom cut the material and did a great job. When the 3M regional guy heard an Avanti was coming in to the shop he arranged his schedule to be there.

For my '70 Avanti I have a couple of traditional vinyl bras for it but keep thinking about doing an invisible bra for it.

Thanks Gunny,,

I was trained in the installation of clear bras by X-Pel over 10 years ago but only with the kits. At the time there was a company (not X-Pel) that listed a kit for an 84 Avanti. I assumed it was a one-off order they had done and added to their database but never researched it to include other years in their listing.

Can't remember which company that was.

Paul K, I had mine put on by a car detailing business that does them for several dealers in the area. It was very professional in the installation and you had to get within a foot of the car before seeing the lines, There are rattle cans of the product as well, but I don't think it would look as good and uniform as the film that's all one thickness.

You're right about the color. My 76 was a dark metallic red when it was applied. The bra really is invisible until you get right up next to the car, even then, I had to point it out to people.

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't real pretty - the original owner of my '63 somehow or another "handcrafted an expanded wire grille." post-3180-0-27864900-1425514941_thumb.jpgI believe the assembly was chrome-plated before installation. It fell-off (welded studs broke off) last summer while driving home. I've still got it -- for the Right Price??? See AOAI #168, p12. Bill

• 2 weeks later...