Very sloppy windshield wiper arms in 87 convertible

Jim S

There is a lot of slop in my wiper arm mechanism. The passenger arm is fairly tight, but the driver's is real loose. Are they the same unit under the dash as all previous versions?  And most importantly, are they accessible to remove and replace!!!

Is the play in the linkage or where the arm mounts?

The socket of the arm mounts on a grooved pivot.

Sometimes the arm socket wears out and you have to replace the arm.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

The arm mount is tight.  It is loose before that point.  There is as much as 3 inches of play when you move the arm.

5 hours ago, Jim S said:

The arm mount is tight.  It is loose before that point.  There is as much as 3 inches of play when you move the arm.

Not unusual for Avantis on drivers side wiper.....you really have to check out where the play is from inside the car while a helper moves the arm.....I would imagine the wiper linkage is the same on an '87 as a '63, although the wiper motor itself is different......Good luck!.....Ed

2 hours ago, Jim S said:

Thank-you Ed.  Now the challenge is how the heck do I get the linkage out of there!

The '87 Avanti is no doubt different, but on the Stude dashboard Avantis through 1985, it's not uncommon to cut a hole in glove box 'roof' to gain access to passenger side pivot.......In reality though, you may have to pull dashboard forward.....OUCH!!:o