Avanti Creamsicle

psdenno

False. You could get the orange interior with black, grey, white and gold exteriors. It was unavailable with turquoise and red exteriors.

That was for 1963...the orange interior wasn't available for 1964 Avantis.

False. You could get the orange interior with black, grey, white and gold exteriors. It was unavailable with turquoise and red exteriors.

That was for 1963...the orange interior wasn't available for 1964 Avantis.

Correct. I've only seen the orange and white combination, including the one in my garage. Anyone here have a picture of an orange interior in an other than white Avanti?

I've seen more "creamsicle" combinations than other combinations. To date, I've seen the three other colors, black, gray, and gold with orange/fawn interior combination, but only 1 or 2 examples of each. I've seen at least 6 of the creamsicle combination with white exterior Avantis.

The orange interior was somewhat radical, even for the 1960s when most car interiors were shades of blue, brown, green, or black with maybe a little white or gold for accent. Not sure the fawn Avanti accent trim toned the orange down very much.

psdenno, look through Bob Johnstone's Studebaker Resource pages on the Avanti registry for pics of the other combinations. I'm guessing the gold/orange & fawn combination was quite popular as I've seen several. One member of our Black Hawk SDC and Chicago AOAI has 2 - 63 Gold R2's with the orange & fawn interior. There has been at least 1 black/ orange & fawn appear on Ebay and I believe there is a gray/orange combo on the Avanti registry in the Resource pages.

According to the Production Data booklet available from the SNM, the numbers for an orange interior and exterior colors was:

black exterior - 10 cars

white exterior - 240 cars

gold exterior - 78 cars

gray exterior - 24 cars

It does show that 5 1964 Avantis were equipped with orange interiors (2 white, 2 gold, 1 gray). While no serial numbers are provided, I expect they would have been pre-R4892 cars...true transitional cars but that's supposition on my part.

Regardless...the white exterior/orange interior was by far the most popular combination with orange and orange being the rarest of all standard interior color options.

psdenno, look through Bob Johnstone's Studebaker Resource pages on the Avanti registry for pics of the other combinations. I'm guessing the gold/orange & fawn combination was quite popular as I've seen several. One member of our Black Hawk SDC and Chicago AOAI has 2 - 63 Gold R2's with the orange & fawn interior. There has been at least 1 black/ orange & fawn appear on Ebay and I believe there is a gray/orange combo on the Avanti registry in the Resource pages.

Thanks for the tip.

Cutting through all this pleasentness.....False there WERE turquoise Avantis with orange interiors. I know of several people that have witnessed them first hand.

False there WERE turquoise Avantis with orange interiors. I know of several people that have witnessed them first hand.

.There is a '63 Avanti in the Needham, Mass. area with an orange and fawn 'Regal' interior, and 'Avanti Turquoise' exterior paint....and I've seen more than one 'Avanti Gold' Studebaker Avanti with an orange and fawn interior

I'm not a fan of the turquoise exterior and light blue interior, let alone an orange interior, GAG---GAG---GAG. The factory usually would not put a color blind person in charge of selecting exterior/interior combinations, but that, IMHO, is not a combination I would want to pay good money for. Someone in Needham could have swapped out an interior for the orange.

Edited by plwindish