New Owner 63R-2158

RoyG

I wanted to introduce myself and my new project!  I recently purchased a "basket case" and plan to completely re build it.  It sat in a barn for 18+ years and was apart before the previous owned purchased and stored it.  The body is rough and the frame needs some work.  It has the incorrect motor and wrong automatic transmission and the interior is "toast".  My rational was that I'd end up redoing about everything on a #2 car anyway, so why not save the money and put one back in service that was probably destined to be a parts car?  I have it up on blocks and have started stripping off parts that won't be reused.

A prior owner started converting the front clip to square headlights, while trying to repair some body damage... the result was AWEFUL!  I have a repair front panel and one original headlight bucket to use in an attempt to make the nose section correct again.  Hog troughs have been ordered.  I hope to have the body correct and ready for paint by fall... we'll see.

The engine is a '64 289 from a passenger car which I plan to tear down and build back to R-3 specs.  I'm thinking of converting from automatic to five speed standard and replacing the single tract rear with a 4.11 TT unit.  My thinking is it will never be a matching number low mileage concourse car so why not make it over the way I want it?

Glad to be an Avanti owning member at last.

RoyG

Hello Roy!....Good to have you on board!.....Nice to bring one back that's been off the road for many years!:)

There's a fellow on this forum (I believe his name is Bob Kline) who is parting out 3 or 4 Avantis should you need used parts....and I strongly recommend speaking with Dave Thibeault, an Avanti/Studebaker parts dealer here in Mass, for new parts and technical info......Tel# 978-897-3158...............Good luck!

2 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

Roy, where are you located? If near either Tampa FL or Crossville TN, I may be able to help with parts, encouragement, and/or expertise.

Parts!?  I'll be in Indian Rocks Beach starting on the 17th. How do I contact you?

John

Hello Everyone, thanks for the responses, I should have checked sooner!  I am in central Massachusetts.  I made contact with Dave T. late last week and am meeting him Tuesday to pick up a driver's side door.  Dan Booth (Nostalgic) has been awesome help with NOS body parts so far.  Hope to pull the motor this weekend and then start repairing the damaged body.  So far I've found the vendors that advertise in Avanti to be great to work with.  My immediate goal is to get the fiberglass work done and the car in primer this summer while at the same time stripping all the old parts off the frame so I can wire brush, paint, and then start installing all new brakes, fuel lines, and perhaps upgrade suspension.  At the same time I have a lot more research to do, and I'll be looking for opinions (please see "suggestions?" posts) from members that have already been down this road.