Loewy & New York

psdenno

Well it wasn't the Concorde which was about 25 years after Loewy. I think he was best known for household appliance design so the answer here would be enlightening.

In my youth Loewy was driven around NYC by Jimmy, a delightful Irishman who was the Studebaker "company" driver in NY. My pal Dick Hutchinson and I got an occasional ride. So did Joan Fontaine and her sister. Who was her sister?

Well it wasn't the Concorde which was about 25 years after Loewy. I think he was best known for household appliance design so the answer here would be enlightening.

The sleek silverware used on the Concorde was a Loewy contribution.

To answer this question, think general modes of transportation, not necessarily specific brands. For instance, "car" could be a general mode and "Avanti" could be the specific vehicle within that mode.

Now, what are the other five modes?

Let's try a bus (Greyhound Scenicruiser), a ferry, a locomotive (GG-1), a car (several makes and models), aircraft, possibly taxicabs and who knows what else.

Olivia DeHavilland is Joan Fontaine's sister.

Let's try a bus (Greyhound Scenicruiser), a ferry, a locomotive (GG-1), a car (several makes and models), aircraft, possibly taxicabs and who knows what else.

Olivia DeHavilland is Joan Fontaine's sister.

Nice job! You got five of the six - car, plane, train, boat, and bus. Anyone want to take a shot at the sixth Loewy influenced mode of transportation that would offer a view of New York City?

Wasn't there a tramway across the East River and perhaps a skyride at the 1960's New York World's Fair? (I lived there then.)

Joan Fontaine died last year and DeHavilland is 98. Met them both as a kid. Fontaine's connection with Studebaker was personal.

Dennis and Gunny are winners.

I had the chance to buy a Dorsett Catalina a couple of years ago. My wife would have been ok with it as she said I needed another project...but I'm clueless about boats and have heard all the "advice" about boats: "They're a hole in the water you throw money into" and "The two happiest days in a boat owner's life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it!"

The boat sold for just over $600 with the trailer. It was in decent shape overall...but as I said...I'm clueless about boats. All I would have wanted it for is to rehab it, paint it to match my Avanti and tow it to car shows as two examples of Raymond Loewy's work. The boat and trailer are well within Class 1 weight limits so the Avanti could easily pull it. I still have the NOS trailer hitch for the Avanti sitting in the garage...never installed.

I don't know, but maybe Loewy had some design influence in a helicopter or observation deck in NYC.

So far, forum members have come up with five of the six modes of Loewy inspired transportation that a traveler could use to see New York City.

We have:

Car,

Boat

Train

Bus

Airplane

Anyone care to take a shot at the remaining mode of transportation that Loewy had a hand in designing before we close this question?

This question has been open for a week without listing the final mode of transportation that sported a Loewy design element. While several correct answers were added to the list, the missing mode is out of this world.

Skylab

I know Loewy had a hand in the interior design for Skylab, but what did Skylab have to do with New York as the original question asked?

The original question asked for Loewy influenced modes of transportation from which NYC could be viewed.

I'm guessing that the astronauts in Skylab (a mode of transportation) had a most spectacular view of New York (the city in question) from 275 miles above Earth on at least some of the 34,981 orbits around the planet.