Fuel Line Elbow Under Tank: How To Remove?

cmholm

I'm in the midst of replacing a '63 fuel tank, at the stage of disconnecting the various connections before pulling it from the inside the car.

As Stan Gundry notes in "What The Shop Manual Won't Tell You", the tank isn't going to come out (neatly) without removing the fuel line elbow from the bottom.

I'd just as soon not break anything in the process. So, will it unscrew lefty-loosey? Or, is there another motion?

fuel_tank_elbow.jpg

Yes,it is removed by unscrewing counter clockwise. I found it impossible to unscrew and ended up cutting my 90 degree fitting of to remove the tank. With the tank out and clean, I was able to heat the remaining brass fitting to remove. If I were to do it again, I would just get on it and unscrew it. Good Luck!

Robert

On 3/31/2021 at 8:45 AM, Avanti83 said:

Yup! Just unscrew it but put a 1/4" pipe plug in it's place as there's still some fuel in the tank and it smells bad and makes a mess.

Yup, I woulda/shoulda/coulda checked for more responses to read this valuable tip before I found out the hard way. 🙂

As it was, I needed to hunt down a longer 9/16" spanner to get enough leverage to start with.

Edited by cmholm

• 1 year later...

Worked on it all day, Penetrating fluids, 9/19 open end with 1'' X12' and 4'' extension galvanized pipe over the 9/16 open end. Tomorrow I will try some thing new, All work outside, very cold, car on Jacks, vert tight under neath 

Just have to sleep on it,    

mefeez