A/C Conversion

Alan

I am the proud owner of a 1989 Avanti Coupe. I have a few "issues" which I would like to try to resolve prior to spring. I am hopeful someone can point me in the right direction.

1) The A/C doesn't seem to hold much of a charge. My mechanic (admittedly not an a/c expert) could not find a leak. Rather than invest in charges every year or so, I wonder if it is advisable to convert to one of the new A/C systems. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated. Also, since the A/C is a Delco unit, would I be better off going to a Chevy dealer or a specialty shop. Any idea of costs?

2) The passenger side power window is not operating? Is there a way to check if it is the switch or the window motor. I am NOT mechanically inclined and need to rely on a repair shop for the repair. Where can I locate the switch and motor if needed. Any idea as to cost?

3) Sometimes, when I slow down and then accelerate after driving at a normal cruising speed, it feels like the transmission is not "kicking in" for a second or two. I have had the fluid changed but no difference. I was reading in the Avanti Mag about an issue some have had with the positraction system, I think. Any idea if this could be that problem?

Thanks to Avanti Mag, I think I now have an idea as to what is causing my cold starting problems. The engine has a hard time turning over at first. Seems like - according to Avanti Mag - it could be the solenoid or the starter. (When the engine has warmed up, I am far less likely to have the problem.) Thanks for the tip. If anyone has any comments. please let me know.

Despite the "issues" I love the car.

Thanks.

Alan

1) Take your Avanti to an A/C shop and have the leak fixed and convert it over to R134a. Will be cheaper in the long run. Installing a different system is not cheap or easy.

2) If your power windows are like my '87's you can pull up on the center console wood trim around the shifter to get access to the bottom of the switches. Just switch the connectors for the drivers window and passenger window. If it works with the drivers window switch then the problem is in the motor or the wiring. My drivers window wouldn't work, I cleaned the motor plug-in and ground and it worked OK after that. The motor should be a MOPAR part and can be found at any parts store.

3) I had a problem like that with my 200R4 also. I'm a mechanic and tried everything I could including taking it to some transmission experts I know, my Avanti would always shift fine for them. I was doing some exhaust work and decided to replace the convertor because of the mileage, 87,000

on the orginal convertor, when I removed the convertor I found that it was coming apart inside with a big piece that would turn and block the exhaust. The exhaust back pressure would allow the engine to accelerate but it would have no power. Since the replacement of the convertor I have not had my "transmission problem". Just goes to show how complicated some problems can get, but on the good side my transmission works great after all the attention I gave it. :rolleyes:

4) Take your Avanti to a good shop and have your battery, alternator and starter load tested. Also have them perform a voltage drop test on your positive and negative battery cables. This will tell you if it is an electrical problem.

Good luck and have fun with your Avanti!

1) Take your Avanti to an A/C shop and have the leak fixed and convert it over to R134a. Will be cheaper in the long run. Installing a different system is not cheap or easy.

I will be using the NAPA R134 upgrade kit on my wifes 1986 IROC soon. Its not

that expensive and comes with all the fittings. I think it was 65 bucks? Chances

are your R12 system is leaking from the actual shrader valves, I had this happen

on my 1993 Camaro Z28. Its an R134 system ... but those valves go bad.

Tom

I will be using the NAPA R134 upgrade kit on my wifes 1986 IROC soon.  Its not

that expensive and comes with all the fittings.  I think it was 65 bucks?  Chances

are your R12 system is leaking from the actual shrader valves, I had this happen

on my 1993 Camaro Z28.  Its an R134 system ... but those valves go bad.

Tom

Be aware that R134a is not compatible with the OEM oil that is in a R12 system, could cause problems later on. A/C system should be flushed and oil for a R134a system added.

Be aware that R134a is not compatible with the OEM oil that is in a R12 system, could cause problems later on. A/C system should be flushed and oil for a R134a system added.

I remember reading that way back, and then they changed it recently saying that

it really didnt matter. I dunno. This kit comes with even 'specialer' oil to help with

the conversion. Cool stuff!

Tom