Filler neck hose

popeyesteve

Does anyone have a source and/or part number for the filler neck to fuel tank hose used for 1982 models? I decided to pull the fuel tank access panel to check and replace the rubber fuel and vent lines since I have the seats out to install new seat covers. I have everything but that pesky filler hose and I don’t want to put it back together without a new hose installed. The old one is cracked and dry...and seeps enough to smell up the interior if the tank is topped up too much. Thanks in advance.

Steve

You can go into pretty much any auto parts store and purchase new fuel filler neck hose. They sell it in random sizes. If I remember correctly, I  just measured and cut it prior to installing.

8 hours ago, 1inxs said:

You can go into pretty much any auto parts store and purchase new fuel filler neck hose. They sell it in random sizes. If I remember correctly, I  just measured and cut it prior to installing.

I used 2" automotive hose that is resistant to modern fuels from the internet. The original has a slight bend and I had to remove the body filler neck to install install the newer type hose. Check your diameter to be sure my CRS hasn't kicked in on the size.

Bill,

Pull the seat bottom out. Remove the two lower screws that retain the seat back cushion. Remove the screws from the cab to fuel tank divider. Carefully pry the divider out and now you’ll have access to the filler neck.

Good Luck!

Robert

I pulled my rear seat a couple of years ago and decided to add a little sound proofing to the divider. The original pad was pretty nasty and falling apart. So the divider got hushmat installed and I glued carpet padding to the divider. The dimensions of the old pad were used on the new pad.

IMG_5820.jpeg

IMG_5824.jpeg

On 3/17/2021 at 8:22 PM, popeyesteve said:

Does anyone have a source and/or part number for the filler neck to fuel tank hose used for 1982 models? I decided to pull the fuel tank access panel to check and replace the rubber fuel and vent lines since I have the seats out to install new seat covers. I have everything but that pesky filler hose and I don’t want to put it back together without a new hose installed. The old one is cracked and dry...and seeps enough to smell up the interior if the tank is topped up too much. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Beware when purchasing that fuel inlet hose for your '82 Avanti....Although Studebaker Avantis and early Avanti ll's utilized a fuel inlet hose with the same inside diameter on both ends, by 1982 the hose was changed to accommodate an inlet flange with a smaller outside diameter....this was because of the change to unleaded gas and smaller fuel nozzles at service stations around the country.

The hose you probably need has a different I.D. on each end....I learned this when I changed the fuel inlet hose on my '83....I ended up purchasing the correct hose from Nostalgic Motors! (the Avanti guy):)

RQB3263 81/305....i jumped into it this evening ...removal took about 40 min with help... seat bottom came right out....seat back has 2,  1/4 in bolts with nuts so req 2 people to remove...... back panel had 15 screws and came out easy and provided good access to connector hose..... as was described here mine was severely cracked and leaking..... remove the clamps.... remove 3 screws from filler spout next to the gas cap and pull it all out together........the rubber connector had to be split with razor knife to get it off........ and thats where i am now.....almost..... maybe someone could explain the fact that the tank neck is 2.040  dia  and  the spout is 2.260 dia......thats almost a 1/4 inch difference....  .220 inch diff to be exact on RQB3263.....im not comfortable pulling that much with a clamp...... suggestions please ..... and I will detail my fix  here no matter what it is ......BILL RQB3263

IMG_1663 (1).JPG

RQB3263 81/305 ......Others are aware of the differences in the tube size..... and as usual i am the last to figure it out....Stephen Cade is checking his stock here in Gainesville Fl.....maybe ill get lucky.....BILL

Bill

If all else fails, as you have the spout out you could shorten it and weld a 2" od pipe to it. That would also let you make a straight shot to the tank and use a standard 2" hose.

Bob

Edited by Avanti83

I like the cut and weld idea....someone  will thank me for this mod 40 yrs from now ... but ill wait for stephen cade call today.....if he has the correct part ill go that route.....later BILL RQB3263

Bill,

You can go into the local parts store with your original hose and match up the two sides. I don’t remember what the hose that I purchased was built for, but I had to cut one end off for length. One end of the hose that I purchased was flared larger than the other. 

Robert

RQB3263 81/305  welding mod finished except for re assembly tomorrow I hope.....pic attached.....total cost inc. gas and damned good lunch for two  in Ocala approx $85.....everything is 2" now and  I dont ever expect to have to mess with it again (life time guarantee)  .....BILLIMG_1665.JPG.0312f23ebaa5525d3f7f80946d60bb0a.JPG

3 hours ago, wildfelr said:

RQB3263..... reassembly  with good help 45 min....done ....HAPPY  BILL

Congratulations Bill! Thanks for the update and continue to enjoy!

RQB3263 81/305.......  YES not uncommon....nothing mechanical or supplies available in Gainesville, Fl..... its either Ocala or Jax......

well i have 2 pieces of 2' OD stainless tube left over...... I have cut and preped one piece and the other is about  6' long and will req a bit of massaging but is usable for our project......  Its free to whoever will pay the shipping  ....If you want to go this route give me a call  386-466-6434 cell

IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg