TRUNK LIGHT SET UP 63 AVANTI

studequest

I took apart my trunk light and it seems the 2 wires going into the bulb housing do not pull out so you can replace the bulb

Of course I broke the bulb and the base seems fused into that socket.  Do you cut the wires and get a new replacement socket?

My original mercury switch is gone so I ordered an after market which I will hook up.. Any thoughts here?

tHANKS KEITH

Pretty much yes. Since it mounts on fiberglass you may want a dual contact socket for hot and ground separate from the shell, event though you can make a single contact housing and bulb work by grounding the shell to the ground wire. On the dual pin housing, pin orientation is important, bayonets to the two contacts.

7 hours ago, studequest said:

Of course I broke the bulb and the base seems fused into that socket.  Do you cut the wires and get a new replacement socket?

Keith,

No, you don’t cut any wires. The bulb housing with the lens separates from the base. You push and twist the burnt bulb out and push and twist a new bulb in. If I remember correctly the bulb is a BA15 single filament bayonet bulb. 

My lens melted so I removed it so you can clearly see the assembly. DO NOT remove yours! I just posted this picture so you can see how the tabs from the socket attach to the lens. You separate the socket from the housing.

5B45DC22-12AF-4C70-88B5-B90D2D50F6AA.jpeg

Edited by 1inxs

Unless originality is what you're going after, you can do what I did on the '70 Avanti I owned aand eliminate the factory trunk light and install LED light strips.  They really illuminate the trunk.  I also added a manual switch to turn the lights on and off for when the car was at shows with the trunk lis left open.  

Here's a link to where I posted it here in 2014...LED trunk lights

If you want to keep the factory light I believe Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors has replacements.  You can use a LED light bulb to eliminate heat and draw less current doing that.

Edited by Gunslinger

An LED dual-contact bulb inside the original housing/socket is a compromise, if that's what you are looking for. Looks original, lights up the trunk much better than the original incandescent. Did that on ours and can see the whole trunk now.

Thanks guys

Yes Gunslinger I have an additional LED light that is switched and also has a mercury switch on it.  I was wondering my original did not work and hence the question

This is an N90 dual contact bulb.  I ordered a new aftermarket Mercury switch... better than the originals and I will hook that up

My car is already modified  (R2 with Air conditioning and all electric fuel pump system)  with a battery in the trunk.... so it does not matter

Why live with 60 year old technology..

Thanks for that photo I see it is one basic unit with the tines of the light housing and the base are separate from plastic cover.   I pulled it apart to get to the socket.. my bad!!

Thanks 1inxs.. I got that ---  Yes I finally got it all apart and it  was an N90 bulb -- dual filament

Its all back together.. Just need to check the leads and wiring (not sure how it was wired since they modified the lights in the back)

All the lights are turn and brake on the rear of the car and the backup lights are LED on either side of the license plate).. I am waiting for a mercury switch.

8 hours ago, studequest said:

Yes I finally got it all apart and it  was an N90 bulb -- dual filament

Glad you were able to figure it out without cutting the wires. Yes, N90 single element dual contact! If you try a dual filament it will cause you grief. 

Someone prior to me owning my 1970 Avanti, had changed the back up lights to LED Brake/Signal lights. I’m changing it back to the way it was originally. 

Good luck and enjoy!

Robert