judging manual

schuyler

I have a 1963 Avanti and frequently attend cars shows. I am constantly searching to correct my Avanti to factory details. I am also a member of the National Corvette Restorers Society (NCRS). The NCRS has manuals that show factory correct details. Is there a Avanti manual that goes into these factory details? What do the judges use at Avanti National shows to judge cars. Thank you for your guidance!

Go to the SDC website. The judging manual is available there as a PDF...for all Studebakers, Avantis and post-Studebaker Avantis...original and modified.

You'll find that Studebaker and Avanti people generally aren't sticklers for absolute numbers-matching correctness like the Corvette and Mopar people can be (among others). Judging here is more about fun and recognizing a job well-done than for a car that's essentially a trailer queen.

I feel your pain on that! While not a member of NCRS, I own a '69 Vette L71 and have on occasion dealt with some of the more "enthusiastic" people there...just not for me. Even worse than some of them, the Mopar guys are beyond belief in their zeal for absolute correctness. When they refer to "Mother Mopar" they're serious...to them Mopar is a religion!

Someone may have been interested and I've heard nothing along those lines. I think using the Avanti section of the SDC manual works just fine. It's not like there's a lot of Avantis at anything other than the annual international meet.

Avanti II's would be particularly difficult to judge on originality. They were virtually all built to special orders with hundreds of potential interior combinations of fabrics, vinyls, leathers, carpets, etc. Add to that the factory would paint them in any automotive color would make judging for correctness and originality a nightmare.

I can see that being a Pandora's Box no one would need to open.

Greg prince, together with others, has been working on a huge authenticity manual for 1963-64 Avantis. It is ready for proofing and was last waiting for approval from AOAI board member Steve James to send out electronically for further proofing and feedback. When released, the book will be 400 pages of color images and text covering every aspect of the Avanti. Steve has some health problems earlier, and I figure that once he is recovered well enough, we'll get back to final proofing and making arrangement for printing.

Greg prince, together with others, has been working on a huge authenticity manual for 1963-64 Avantis. It is ready for proofing and was last waiting for approval from AOAI board member Steve James to send out electronically for further proofing and feedback. When released, the book will be 400 pages of color images and text covering every aspect of the Avanti. Steve has some health problems earlier, and I figure that once he is recovered well enough, we'll get back to final proofing and making arrangement for printing.

Wow, impressive! This is something that will be available for sale to membership/general public?

This really sounds like a project that should be fast tracked to finish.

I'd love to have a copy once it's completed...even though I don't own a '63 anymore...or because I'm not a purist...but because of the information within it. It will eliminate arguments about what's correct on a Studebaker Avanti...what's not correct...and what mods might be acceptable such as dual master cylinders, etc. Think of the urinary trajectory contests that won't happen anymore at judged events when someone thinks they were robbed of points. Not that that is a common occurrence at Avanti events (it sure is at other make events), but I have heard a bit of moaning at shows every now and then.

One reason I chose an Avanti II rather than another Studebaker was due to so many conceivable variations I could change anything I wanted, and as far as it was well-done and tasteful (in my mind anyway, though my wife took charge of the "tasteful" changes...I handled the mechanical), it wouldn't hurt the value, such value that Avantis have, at all.

I see this official judging manual as a win-win for all involved...outside of the few that might put points over fun at shows.

Lew...

Any idea of cost for those of us who would like a copy? I don't know if that's been fully addressed outside of projections, but it has to cost money to do all the work and printing costs. I can't see an effort and product of that magnitude being no charge. Unless it is no charge, I can't see it available as a for pay downloadable .pdf as it could be too easily shared outside of the AOAI store and depriving the AOAI of recovering its financial outlay.

Maybe I'm off base on that and too much of a capitalist...maybe all the effort is being donated. It just seems to me that it should be at the minimum revenue neutral if not a return on all this investment by those involved.

I am planning on printing this, since 400 pages is a lot to keep and reference in a PDF file, whether it is on a smart phone or tablet. Although PDFs are easy to use to search for terms or items in the file, the file would be quite large. I am working to have the manual printed and will be made available to any AOAI member at a nominal cost.

Outstanding! That is really good news. I love the printed choice for this kind of item because I love being able to make notes in margins and as mentioned-.pdf's are great to archive with but not real user friendly for "leafing through" even with a fast 'puter. I can't see myself ever having my '64 judged, but would absolutely treasure something like this as reading/reference material.

I'm in no hurry, I'd be glad to wait for #10 :P

COUNT ME IN FOR ONE ALSO. OLD #5255 WILL GET EVEN CLOSER TO THE DAY Marvin Bradley TOOK DELIVERY ON 12/23/'63

Edited by avantifred

'Off topic'.........but I think psdenno, dapy, and mfg would make for an awesome team of judges at International Avanti events!

Couldn't agree with you more! I haven't judged an annual International Avanti meet since the 70s, but wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Especially with such a congenial team. Great fun.

Dear "Off Topic"...Since psdenno and dapy are critics your suggestion is either a joke or a put down.

Speaking for dapy he doesn't know a nut from a bolt. Well, I do know nuts...

Dear "Off Topic"...Since psdenno and dapy are critics your suggestion is either a joke or a put down.

Speaking for dapy he doesn't know a nut from a bolt. Well, I do know nuts..

Don't sell yourself short!!...You'd probably do an admirable job....perhaps on the later model year Avantis?