Avanti quick steering arms

John C

Hello all,

I am considering installing the quick steer arms on my Avanti. It currently has stock power steering and I think it feels a little over compensated. My question is are the quick     

arms shorter than stock and if so about how much? I'm sure many others have installed them, could you tell me your thoughts on how it affects the steering.

Thanks for your input,   John C

2 hours ago, John C said:

Hello all,

I am considering installing the quick steer arms on my Avanti. It currently has stock power steering and I think it feels a little over compensated. My question is are the quick     

arms shorter than stock and if so about how much? I'm sure many others have installed them, could you tell me your thoughts on how it affects the steering.

Thanks for your input,   John C

My '85 came equipped with the quick steering arms from the factory...These arms are indeed shorter, as they are more 'curved' than the rather straight standard arms...To me, although the steering seems a bit 'quicker' on my '85 than my '83, (with standard arms)....it's not really a very noticeable difference.:)

Instead of purchasing the quick steering arms, I think money would be better spent buying the thicker diameter front and rear sway bars from one of our club vendors.....To me, the thicker bars really do make a big difference in handling.:)

7 hours ago, mfg said:

My '85 came equipped with the quick steering arms from the factory...These arms are indeed shorter, as they are more 'curved' than the rather straight standard arms...To me, although the steering seems a bit 'quicker' on my '85 than my '83, (with standard arms)....it's not really a very noticeable difference.:)

Didn't your '85 come with the different steering gear box which was the reason for the different arms?  Your '85 would be different than installing these arms on a '63.  The net is, I do not recommend the change on a '63.  

RQB3263 81/305 AVANTI II.... I installed the quick arms about 2 yrs ago....2 hr job ....i used an air hammer (actually an aircraft rivet gun) to knock them loose. installed the new ones with anti-seze...yes they do make steering quicker....thats just geometry....but you will get used to it and not even feel the difference after a mile ....worth while.....have fun.....BILL IN FLORIDA

Unless your Avanti is equipped with the forklift steering box rather than the Ross unit don't waste your money on the quick steering arms.  The forklift steering box added in the late '70s was detrimental to the car's steering and Steve Blake had the quick steering arms made to return the original geometry.  In an earlier car they make no appreciable difference other than to make the steering more "darty" to coin a term.  Ask me how I know.

I would not recommend the change for an earlier Avanti.

21 hours ago, studegary said:

Didn't your '85 come with the different steering gear box which was the reason for the different arms?  

Gary, I'm quite sure '83 and '85 Avantis share the same type/make steering box.......so my comparison concerning shorter steering arms would be valid!:)

4 hours ago, mfg said:

Gary, I'm quite sure '83 and '85 Avantis share the same type/make steering box.......so my comparison concerning shorter steering arms would be valid!:)

The original poster, John C,  lists a 1963, not 1983, Avanti in his profile, so I assumed that is the Avanti that he is referring to.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts on the subject. Perhaps I should have added a little more information in the beginning. The car Is a 63 and it has a 7/8 inch sway bar on the front and a stock 5/8 inch bar on the rear.

From the input I have seen I think I will install a heavier rear bar and possibly some performance shocks before I go to the quick steer arms. Does anyone know who can supply the heavier rear sway bars?   Thanks John C.

MFG, I agree with you about Dave Thibeault, great guy, smart and has helped me for years.

Mark

• 1 month later...

I'm a new guy that has a lot to learn, but can second (or third) the positive comments on Dave.  I got both the front and rear HD sway bar kits from Dave just last week.  He had them in stock, was great to deal with, and everything looks great (even got install instructions!).