Torque Tube drivetrain?

57Wayne

In a recent discussion on torque tube drivetrains, a Wikipedia search stated that for the Avanti II "A new convertible body style along with an all-new and lighter backbone chassis that was designed by Herb Adams, a former Pontiac engineer, using a torque tube with a 1985 Chevrolet Corvette aluminum rear end and independent suspension." Reference is an October 1984 Popular Mechanics magazine.

I cannot find any other info. Would someone here please share some more info; was it actually built? With which transmission?

Thanks.

I believe that would not be the convertible, that was developed at the same time, but rather the prototype 1983 Avanti GT coupe that participated in the 24 Hours at Mid-Ohio.  I believe that the car (the only one) still exists.

EDIT: 5 speed close ratio GM manual transmission.  

Edited by studegary

Thanks! Was hoping to find another car that paired a GM sourced trans with the torque tube that was more common (still unusual) than a one only car! Ferrari 400 and 412 models used a turbo400 with a torque tube setup. Was thinking that if designed in the mid 80's the Avanti II might have used a 700R4.

Thanks again for the reply!

On 2/26/2021 at 10:57 PM, 57Wayne said:

Thanks! Was hoping to find another car that paired a GM sourced trans with the torque tube that was more common (still unusual) than a one only car! Ferrari 400 and 412 models used a turbo400 with a torque tube setup. Was thinking that if designed in the mid 80's the Avanti II might have used a 700R4.

Thanks again for the reply!

I'm not sure what you are asking but don't all mid-80's and up Corvettes came with a torque tube setup albiet the trans is rear mounted with swing axles.