New owner of R63-2036

tanda62

Wanted to introduce myself - Tom Adams and I am the proud new owner of R63-2036 who my wife and I are calling AVA.  I am currently in the process of taking her apart to complete a frame up restoration as a daily driver.  I plan on using AVA to drive to play golf.  My plans as of now include: upgrading the brakes to Turner discs both front and rear, put in fuel injection, LED lights, possibly go with electric steering, change the interior back to fawn/elk from the black it is currently and pretty much touch every nut, bolt and piece either replacing or refurbishing as needed.  I don't have a timeline for completion, this is a work on her as I wish type deal.

I am sure to have many questions and hope to learn from everyone and their experience.  This is not my first rebuild, my latest was my late father-in-laws 53 Dodge B4C pickup, included some pics.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

Tom

front.gif

back.gif

Gulf station Quincy Fl 08.gif

seat drivers side.gif

spark plug wires.gif

nice work on the Dodge!!    Looking forward to your progress on your Avanti!    From the few pictures you posted here, it looks like you have a good solid car to work with, especially if the frame and underbody torque boxes are solid.  

Are you a member / subscriber to Avanti Magazine?   We have a number of Avanti parts vendors advertising in each issue, as well as many technical and. how-to articles that may be of assistance to you.   If you don't currently received our 100-plus page full color quarterly magazine,  private message me your mailing address and I will mail a copy of the latest magazine to you.

Lew

Thanks Lew.  I have subscribed to the Magazine and got the Studebaker Avanti Authenticity Manual books.

Until I take the body off I will not know for sure but looking from below it looks like the frame and "hog troughs" are in good shape.  Someone has been in the car before as I have found masking tape labels on the wiring behind the dash and many mismatched screws/nuts/bolts as the disassembly continues.  Of course the mouse nest and skeletons I found under the center console would indicate as advertised the car has been stored for quite some time.

Here are some more shots of the car:

interior removed 01.gif

dash out 01.gif

dash out 02.gif

dash out 03.gif