1987 Avanti Door Sticker

IndyJimW

9 minutes ago, studegary said:

I hope that you realize that this sticker does not apply to the early 1987 Avantis.

Sticky subject. I have seen 1987 Avanti's with later VIN's and body #'s then mine but with South Bend tags.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

29 minutes ago, IndyJimW said:

Sticky subject. I have seen 1987 Avanti's with later VIN's and body #'s then mine but with South Bend tags.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

That may be, but early 1987 models would not have a Youngstown ID.  

My sticker shows a production date of FEB 1987, a full six months before production began in Youngstown, OH according to John Hull's book.

I've been told by "people in the know at that time" that all uncompleted and completed unsold Avantis were moved to Youngstown, OH.

We think that my Avanti was completed in South Bend, IN in FEB and then shipped to Youngstown, OH.

My Warranty booklet shows a delivery date of March, 1988.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

13 hours ago, IndyJimW said:

My sticker shows a production date of FEB 1987, a full six months before production began in Youngstown, OH according to John Hull's book.

I've been told by "people in the know at that time" that all uncompleted and completed unsold Avantis were moved to Youngstown, OH.

We think that my Avanti was completed in South Bend, IN in FEB and then shipped to Youngstown, OH.

My Warranty booklet shows a delivery date of March, 1988.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

I agree with you.  I was referring to the early 1987s that were built, sold and shipped from South Bend, like mine was (with South Bend on the sticker).  Your Avanti is more than half way through 1987 production.  I am surprised that your Avanti was not delivered until half way through the 1988 model year.  Perhaps your car was used on manufacturer or dealer plates for awhile.

• 7 months later...

Mine has a South Bend tag and I have a copy of the original Customer Order dated 2/16/87. Order number 84,

The Customer Order show The New Avanti Motor Corporation

765 South Lafayette Blvd.

South Bend, Indiana 46634

I lived in South Bend until 1979 and my father worked at Studebaker for 26 years up until the plant closing near the end of 1963.