Tremec TKX 5 Speed Conversion

Jerry1963

I am planning to install a new Tremec TKX 5 speed in my 63. I currently have a chevy 350 with a 350 turbo transmission. I have requested and received several conversion kit quotes, but all include high performance equipment and my conversion is for cruising and show. I don't need a scatter shield bellhousing, a $350 flywheel, a $400 clutch kit, or a $600 hydraulic clutch kit. If anyone has made this or a similar conversion I would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks,  Jerry

TKO600 behind a Stude engine. The TKX is supposed to be better shifting, and slightly smaller.  Behind a Chevy it is just a matter of bolting it to the factory bellhousing. You don't need to change everything else. Use the Redline MTL fluid, and change it once after about 1000 miles. I got mine from summit as a transmission only, check around and see if places like Speedway are offering deals. They usually are a little less expensive.

55 minutes ago, Jerry1963 said:

I am planning to install a new Tremec TKX 5 speed in my 63. I currently have a chevy 350 with a 350 turbo transmission. I have requested and received several conversion kit quotes, but all include high performance equipment and my conversion is for cruising and show. I don't need a scatter shield bellhousing, a $350 flywheel, a $400 clutch kit, or a $600 hydraulic clutch kit. If anyone has made this or a similar conversion I would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks,  Jerry

Well, there's no way around needing a bell housing, a flywheel, a pressure plate, a clutch disc, a pilot bearing and a hydraulic clutch kit.  How much you pay for them, whether you use OEM or aftermarket is up to you.

jack vines

1 hour ago, Jerry1963 said:

Thanks,  Jerry

T-56 behind a 383 SBC. It just bolted up but as you have an automatic you'll need the Avanti/Lark pedals. For my T56 I used all GM parts including the master/slave setup from a Camaro. Clutch's, flywheels, etc can all be ordered from any supplier and you can set your price for them. The higher the performance the higher the cost.

Just use the OEM bell housing but be careful some of the Camaro's tip the trans off center. I have a 5-speed OEM straight up housing bell setting in my polebarn depending on how close you are to Michigan.

You might also consider a hydraulic throwout bearing.

Here's my first post about the T56 install about the clutch pedal and hydraulics install. You will also need a different rear mount but that's easy and a different drive shaft. There are a couple follow up's to complete the install available.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/tech-talk/69309-t-56-in-a-74-avanti-part-1-clutch-hydraulics

MC mount -

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/tech-talk/69863-74-avanti-clutch-master-cylinder-mount-t-56

One last caveat, use the five speed hydraulics, the T56 hooks up differently but the concept should be similiar. 

Edited by Avanti83

• 7 months later...

Thank you all for the good info, sorry for the extremely long delay in replying.

I have gathered or confirmed all my parts for the conversion to a Tremec TKX 5-speed behind my 350 chevy. While confirming all the parts to make the conversion, it seems my GM aluminum bellhousing and TKX transmission will be short of the stock shifter location, thus placing it in the vent/heater panel. I know this conversion has been performed by using the T56 and a small block chevy, but has anyone used the old school GM bellhousing and a Tremec transmission? My measurement from the back of my existing engine block to the starting point of the shifter opening in the console is 29.75". From what I can find on the internet and a call to a Tremec dealer, from the back of the engine block with an aluminum bellhousing to the center line of a 5-speed Tremec transmissions is 25.75". I am 4" short of making it to the start of the shifter opening. Can someone please tell me than I am wrong!

Thanks,  Jerry