63 R2 pricing

2500HD

Sorry for this but i have to do the old whats it worth. The reason being is that it is not mine it is my step father inlaws.

Here is what i know.

1963 avanti, vin number 63R2511 23000 original miles, supercharged, automatic, original radio.

I'll try to get pictures and find out if it has power windows or not.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I might buy it if I had detailed information. My main concerns are what further investment might be needed, mechanical condition and driving reliability.

Location and recent maintenance? Low mileage suggests that it has been sitting out most of its life which is not good.

Let's do email with pics. Or did you want me to 'price' the car so you can buy it? Still need more to do that...

Dave Pyle

dap8@comcast.net

Thanks for the reply Dave, I will email you as soon as i can get more info. The car is in north carolina and will be for sale. I just want to make sure that the price is fair. As soon as i get pics i will contact you.

Thanks

Power windows generally are considered a negative in Studebaker Avantis. Be that as it may......an original, un molested, SUPERCHARGED 1963 Studebaker Avanti for sale with 23,000 miles on it will definitely raise a few eyebrows, and, if properly advertised, bring worldwide interest!.....Good luck! (PS.....I own one of those babies myself!)

HD

There are certainly some knowledgeable folks on the forum, a couple have posted already, but one of the best ways to go is Ebay. Once you have a figure in mind that you can be happy with, posting it on Ebay with that price as a reserve and a good description with mucho pictures will give it about as wide a coverage as you can get. I'm not a real fan of Craigslist and other free sites as you will get a lot of tire kickers and bargain hunters. Not that it won't sell but it can be a hassle. I've sold a lot of items on Craigslist locally and it's great in the right circumstances but not for this.

Ebay has it's own downside but there's a lot more protection with them. One issue is bidding with no intent of buying, it happens but you can cancel bids if you want. The cost is pretty minimal considering what the car could be worth.

If it doesn't meet reserve you are under no obligation to sell and if someone bids and doesn't show there is some recourse but not enough. But in the world of selling classic cars in the $5 - 50K range is probably as good as one can find.

I've sold/bought cars on Ebay and Craigslist but I will usually sell on Ebay and try to buy on Craigslist for the best deals.

JMHO, Bob

Thanks for the reply's folks. as soon as i get some pics i will post them. It just takes a little bit being 2000 miles from the inlaws. I to have bought from ebay but we would prefer the car went to a serious collector if possible.

He is the second owner and loved to drive this car but age is becoming a factor and has to let it go. I personally thought he should donate it to a locale museum but that was just my opinion.

In my experience eBay and classiccars.com are the broadest based sales venues for the car you are representing. A winning presentation is key to sales success with honest quality backing that. Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative, and don't mess with mister in between...which IMO is "heritage and family values".

The most important marketing tool is price. I can help with that. 2000 miles between you and the car could be a response problem unless the on site owner is able to follow through with test drives and/or essential repair. If it has not being driven there may be a question of reliability.

If the car is good enough "collectors" will find it. Honestly Avantis are not very popular collector cars these days. Probably needs to be concours quality for a collector. Few are.

In the latest AVANTI magazine Dale Sexton president has a display ad for his modified 1988. Price is $45,000. He just bought an AVX.

The most expensive Studebaker Avanti that I know about sold in the mid $30's, an award winning concours car. I believe it belonged to former president Bill Amantia...a black R1.

In the latest AVANTI magazine Dale Sexton president has a display ad for his modified 1988. Price is $45,000. He just bought an AVX.

The most expensive Studebaker Avanti that I know about sold in the mid $30's, an award winning concours car. I believe it belonged to former president Bill Amantia...a black R1.

I agree with everything dapy said in his last two posts, good points.

The most expensive Avanti I recall was Jim McCuan's low mileage 12K original R2 that sold on Ebay a couple of years ago. It was as nice an original as one could find and IIRC it went in the low/mid 40"s.

With cars like these you are as likely it goes to someone that values it on Ebay as any other site.

I have never seen one with the vent looking grill on the top of firewall passenger side. Is that normal.

No, not normal. It was added by someone on the top of the firewall for a place to rest tools, etc.

This is an interesting car, I too am interested in what price the seller is considering. I do not remember reading when this car was driven last or the state of the hog troughs. The interior looks good especially the dash.

What storage history is there.

thanks,

Mark

Well the price is what we are trying to figure out here. The last time it was driven was probably about a month ago. It was never a daily driver but would get driven at least once a month. He is the second owner and the car has always been stored in his heated garage.

Well the price is what we are trying to figure out here. The last time it was driven was probably about a month ago. It was never a daily driver but would get driven at least once a month. He is the second owner and the car has always been stored in his heated garage.

If the frame and troughs are completely solid....and considering the low mileage, known history, nice clean interior & exterior,...I'd ask 28K for it.

Edited by mfg