Door weatherstrip

Ed M

My '81 (RBQ 3318) has a new interior and a nice paint job, but the doors whistle like crazy above 35 MPH and they leak air all around.  Looks like someone randomly glued some weatherstrip on the doors after the paint job

Is there a source for door weatherstrip that fits?

I have searched the forum, but nothing comes up

Ed M

Edited by Ed M

Almost any parts dealer that carries Avanti parts can likely supply weatherstrip... here are 2 of the major sources:

https://www.nostalgicmotorcars.net/store/c14/Weatherseals.html#/

https://www.studebakerparts.com/studebakerparts/store/s/agora.cgi?page=rubberkits.html

20 hours ago, Ed M said:

My '81 (RBQ 3318) has a new interior and a nice paint job, but the doors whistle like crazy above 35 MPH and they leak air all around.  Looks like someone randomly glued some weatherstrip on the doors after the paint job

Is there a source for door weatherstrip that fits?

I have searched the forum, but nothing comes up

Ed M

For years I'd use nothing but 'factory' weatherseals around the doors, however, lately I've discovered that more modern 'generic' weatherstripping can do an equal or even better job of sealing.....Not correct for a concours type Avanti, but definitely a consideration for a car to be used more frequently.....Ed

Pretty much what the Avanti factory did on the '87-'89 Avanti coupes.:)

Thanks  - for the whole door X 2 we are looking at $1,000.  Is there some other option?  I remember reading somewhere that an 87 Impala or Monte Carlo (?) fit well.

3 hours ago, Ed M said:

Thanks  - for the whole door X 2 we are looking at $1,000.  Is there some other option?  I remember reading somewhere that an 87 Impala or Monte Carlo (?) fit well.

For the 1987 Coupe, Avanti used the original Chevrolet weatherstrip off of the Monte Carlo, just cut both ends off. You can get them from Steele Rubber, that's what I used.

https://www.steelerubber.com/front-door-weatherstrip-70-3535-72

The 1987 Coupe didn't have metal trim around the glass.

I had a post about it, but I can't find it. I'll have to look at my Avanti but I think they drilled holes for the push button clips that hold the seal in place.

You could still just glue it in place.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

Edited by IndyJimW

5 hours ago, IndyJimW said:

For the 1987 Coupe, Avanti used the original Chevrolet weatherstrip off of the Monte Carlo, just cut both ends off. You can get them from Steele Rubber, that's what I used.

The 1987 Coupe didn't have metal trim around the glass.

As you would probably surmise...what you suggest also works pretty well on earlier Avantis that have the stainless glass surround!:)

While I do believe Avanti Motors used a molded Monte Carlo weatherstrip , I think it was modified to fit. I purchased a kit years ago and it included a extrusion that fit were the original rain gutter went and the Monte Carlo Rubber slid into the extrusion and was also glued onto the A pillar.  I have included some photos and it can be seen were the rubber was ground down to fit on the A pillar. Without the extrusion it could probably be made to work using screws and adhesives.

Bob Caser

Avanti window kit.jpg

Avanti window channel.jpg

Thanks all.  Is the only difference in the door of an 81 vs an 87 that the glass has no metal frame?  Does someone have experience with this fix on an earlier Avanti II?

Ed M

12 hours ago, bob caser said:

The kit that I posted photos of does work on a earlier Avanti. I have used it on a 1964.

Bob Caser

My 87 Avanti does have the metal rail at the top to slide the rubber into. To modify the seal you just cut some off both ends.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

I purchased this kit from Jon Myer and I also believe the weatherstrip was used on a mid 1980s Monte Carlo I do not know what year. The metal rail that attaches on the roof is etched with part numbers that appear to have been done at Avanti Motors. It appears that the A pillar portion of the rubber needs to be shaped quite a bit from the stock Monte Carlo rubber.

Bob Caser

• 2 months later...

i have the same channel but the rubber piece I received in my 'Rubber Kit' will not fit into the channel.  per the pictures it would appear that it sits on top of the channel. There are 6 holes in both the channel and the rubber but only 5 of them line up!  If I am correct then there is a hollow space between the metal channel and the Rubber?

unfortunately this is one area a forgot to take a lot of pictures when disassembling! It's been a few years since I disassembled it.

I am assuming that when installing on the body the order is: Butyl Rubber caulk, Rain Gutter, Metal Channel, Rubber?? There was a note I put on one of the channel that said 1/4 foam. I figured this was between the rain gutter and the metal channel?

Is the metal channel then exposed to the outside of body above the Door? should this painted the same color as the body or would black like rubber be acceptable?

Do I need to add any chalking or gasketing between the Metal Channel and the Rubber?

Any help here would be appreciated.IMG_3133.thumb.jpg.c86b0325eedb7b3918a3df5336e140d8.jpgIMG_3136.thumb.jpg.f83f2215f370a527b29bcf3bf08e7762.jpg

The weatherstrip you ae trying to install in that channel is designed for earlier cars that did not have the metal channel. It is designed to screw directly to the body under the drip rail. The retainer is for later foam extrusions without any metal in them. A good universal weather strip extrusion from Steele or Restoration specialties is far better than the factory early upper door seal. Something like the 70-3680-99 would be a good choice.

Thanks Brad. I am embarrassed that I had to ask!  After posting I found the old rubber and yes, it slid in the extrusion. After I compared the profile of it and the  new piece, I saw my error. 
what is more frustrating is that I ordered a rubber kit for a 78, from one of the major vendors and I got this piece. I’ll check out the other options you listed 
More cost and more time lost.!

thanks for responding Brad

• 2 years later...