Carburetors

Carlos Diaz

The Carter AFB in my 1964 R1 Avanti is corroded for some reason, although it still works.  I'd like to replace it.  Does the replacement have to be specifically a Carter AFB for the Avanti R1 engine, or can I use any Carter AFB, such as for the 327 Corvette engines?  If I need an actual Avanti Carter, where could I obtain one?  

Thank you for any information provided

• 3 months later...

call Dave Thibeault or email studedave@aol.com he does NOT text  978-897-3158

Mark

On 1/22/2021 at 10:46 AM, Carlos Diaz said:

The Carter AFB in my 1964 R1 Avanti is corroded for some reason, although it still works.  I'd like to replace it.  Does the replacement have to be specifically a Carter AFB for the Avanti R1 engine, or can I use any Carter AFB, such as for the 327 Corvette engines?  If I need an actual Avanti Carter, where could I obtain one?  

Thank you for any information provided

You can usually get the AFB Carburetor from a Studebaker Avanti completely restored to like new condition for under $500. I cringe when others do it, but you can install an Edelbrock carburetor if you’re not keeping it all original. If you decide not to use your original AFB, I would be interested in it.

If the original 58 year old Avanti carb is totally remanufactured with bushed throttle shafts, new floats, etc., you would be in good shape....otherwise, it's hard to beat a brand new 500 or 600 cfm Edelbrock carb for smooth operation!:)