Power steering hoses on an '85

jvespey

Pressure line on my '85 sprung a leak yesterday on my way to a car show - what a mess.

I'd like to replace all of them as they're all original. I see the Studebaker International offers all four saying they're the same from 63-85. I've had hit or miss (mostly miss) with the products they describe as applicable to the later "Blake" cars.

Can anyone here confirm or refute that these parts will work on a stock, original '85?

Who else has done this and can share their experiences of product used and removal/replacement. Looks like a bear of a job.

Thanks!

Several owners have commented on replacement hoses not being the same as OEM. Might think about a hose

repair/rebuilder in your area and have new hoses mated up to your hose ends to get the angles correct.

I'd call Jon Myer unless you want to try to have them made and bent to order. I considered that route, but I would have had to pull all the hoses off and take them down to get them made. (We have several shops around that can do it.) I probably might have saved $100, but the time it would add to the job would have eaten that up in my time.

I believe you have the same exact system as the earlier ones with the control valve attached to the Pitman arm and 4 hoses attached to it. It's almost identical to the system that early Mustangs and other Fords used. There's a ton of info out there on it, I'm sure you've seen it. There isn't a real good "how to" out there that I've seen, but if you pay close attention to how they're on there and how they're routed, it's pretty straight forward. One of the upper lines (might have been the high pressure line, can't remember for sure) is the biggest problem on the control valve. Moving the Pitman arm forward or back and using a mirror, it was doable with a crows foot line wrench and a long extension from the front side of the control valve.

It will likely kill a Saturday for you. Moral support will help!