Oil Pressure Sending Unit?

attrite1

Does anyone know of the correct Oil Pressure sending unit for a Circa '78(?) Avanti? The reason for the confusion is that my '63 Avanti was resurrected by the Avanti II people sometime in that era. The 350 Chevy engine has a '78 casting date. The interior was redone to that era standards including all engine gauges and the current sending unit and it's replacement are reading a constant 50psi regardless of engine RPM. The replacement unit supposedly was for a Corvette of that era with a full pressure gauge(not idiot lite).

I could be wrong here, but (as I recall) I do not think there IS an oil pressure sending unit... I think the gauge accepts pressurized oil; it has a small diameter steel tube which is attached to the engine via a short rubber flex hose (with metal NPT fittings at each end) that screws into the top rear of the block, in the vicinity of the distributor hole, I think.

I don't have a 78 Avanti. I do have a 71, and I had 69, 66, and 63 Avanti's. I also have an 80, but it's too dark to go look right now. I am fairly certain that the 66 and 71 used the mechanical attachment I outlined, but then again, my memory isn't what it used to be.

If there IS an oil pressure sending unit to convert pressure to an electrical signal, then your gauges were likely changed, and the sender is probably a part offered by the gauge vendor.

Edited by WayneC