Radiator reserve tank conversion

Blarson51

I am having trouble with persistent leakage from the radiator reserve tank on my '63 R2. It's enough to spray small amounts of coolant all around my recently rebuilt engine when I drive. I've had the tank repaired (twice) and it still leaks. I've seen several Avantis at shows with nicely done plastic overflow tanks located in the right front corner of the engine compartment, elimiating the reserve tank. Although I'm trying to keep my car mostly original, I'd like to make it as reliable and driveable as possible, and I'm tired of the mess the overflow tank is making. Dos anyone have any suggestions for the conversion? I can't find any references to this in the last couple of years of the Avanti magazine. Thanks. Brian

I am having trouble with persistent leakage from the radiator reserve tank on my '63 R2.  It's enough to spray small amounts of coolant all around my recently rebuilt engine when I drive.

I had the SAME thing happen ... but I had it repaired at a local radiator shop and

its been fine since. They actually opened it up .. and then soldered the HECK out

of it. You can not even SEE the seam anymore. It was a little hole in the wall shop

but they did an excellent job.

I think that other specialty cars had them, like the Cobra, but .. its not going to be

cheap. I would bet you could have one made by a good shop for less.

Tom