Rubber headlight rings

Billy Shears

Has anybody else had any issues with the replacement rubber headlight rings for the round 1963 headlight covers not fitting the headlight covers correctly?  These would be the ones from Studebaker International.  I went to put the headlight covers back on my repainted Avanti, and I had ordered new rubber rings because the old ones were pretty tired -- in fact one cracked badly when I removed it from the clear plastic headlight covers.  When I put the new ring on, it's too large in diameter.  There's enough extra room to put a finger through easily.  I can make them work on my original glass covers, but I would prefer to keep the valuable originals stored away and run the plexiglass repros in case a vehicle on the road ahead of me flings a stone into one.  Small likelihood, I know, but the repros are easily replaced, and the originals not so much.

Is there another source of headlight rings, to find ones that fit better?  I checked with Dan Booth, and he has stuff for the 1964 and later square headlight bezels, but nothing for the round ones.                        

They make a glue for rubber or silicone o-rings. You cut the o-ring material to length and glue it. It may work on the rings.

Google (o-ring adhesive).

Good luck,

Jim Wood

On 1/18/2021 at 12:14 PM, Billy Shears said:

Has anybody else had any issues with the replacement rubber headlight rings for the round 1963 headlight covers not fitting the headlight covers correctly?  These would be the ones from Studebaker International.  I went to put the headlight covers back on my repainted Avanti, and I had ordered new rubber rings because the old ones were pretty tired -- in fact one cracked badly when I removed it from the clear plastic headlight covers.  When I put the new ring on, it's too large in diameter.  There's enough extra room to put a finger through easily.  I can make them work on my original glass covers, but I would prefer to keep the valuable originals stored away and run the plexiglass repros in case a vehicle on the road ahead of me flings a stone into one.  Small likelihood, I know, but the repros are easily replaced, and the originals not so much.

Is there another source of headlight rings, to find ones that fit better?  I checked with Dan Booth, and he has stuff for the 1964 and later square headlight bezels, but nothing for the round ones.                        

I would suggest a mixture of dish detergent and water to lightly lubricate to get them to seat deeper inside prior to placing the ring over the top for tightening. They should fit a little large or else they will pull back and crack as they age.

On 1/18/2021 at 2:14 PM, Billy Shears said:

Is there another source of headlight rings, to find ones that fit better?                

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Endurance Built Products

Exclusive, hard to find
Studebaker Avanti Parts

Free Shipping!

Enjoy FREE Domestic Shipping when your order totals over $299!

Gasket, Round Head Lamp Glass Seals - PAIRGASKET, ROUND HEAD LAMP GLASS SEALS - PAIR

$37.95

QUANTITY
ADD TO CART

P/N: EB 1350397

Gasket set for the round head lamp well glass cover.

New rubber formulation provides the softness of the factory originals (30 durometer) so they conform uniformly with the metal fastening ring and body.

The lip that extends to the body is designed, as the factory originals, to press against the surface giving a smooth, gap-free look.

For the first time ever, the ends have been thermally fused (not glued!) and result in a permanent bond that will not separate over time.

Comes as set of 2.

Copyright © 2019 Endurance Built Products LLC - All Rights Reserved

Retail - Wholesale - Design - Manufacturing