Coiled Avanti!

mfg

They were at first, but early on there was a change and a different p/n was called out for the R2 engines. IIRC, this applied to Avantis and Hawk/Lark JT/JTS engines. Of course, if you got the transistor ignition, that was yet another different coil.

1 minute ago, r1lark said:

They were at first, but early on there was a change and a different p/n was called out for the R2 engines. IIRC, this applied to Avantis and Hawk/Lark JT/JTS engines. Of course, if you got the transistor ignition, that was yet another different coil.

Without hearing more about "They were at first"...I'd have to say the answer here is FALSE.:(

Look at your parts manual Ed.  ;)

And yes, ultimately the answer is False (except for those early R1/R2 engines). But the devil is in the details, I've learned to be very detailed with the responses to your Trivia questions. :o

Edited by r1lark

3 minutes ago, r1lark said:

Look at your parts manual Ed.  ;)

And yes, ultimately the answer is False. But the devil is in the details, I've learned to be very detailed with the responses to your Trivia questions. :o

I'm looking at what I believe is the earliest Studebaker Avanti parts manual....and it indicates the coils were different between the R1 and the R2 models....There is no reference in this manual that early Avantis (both R1 & R2) came equipped with the same ignition coil....If you haven't any further evidence Paul, the answer to this trivia question remains FALSE.

Shoot, you got me again Ed!  :wacko:  Guess I just wasn't detailed enough this time.

Looked at the parts manual wrong...........yes, originally they WERE different, then the R2 changed to the same p/n as the R1. 

I had mentioned somewhere recently that I can't scan something quickly any more and be sure I'm correct - this is a good example of that. Just getting older. :(

1 minute ago, r1lark said:

Shoot, you got me again Ed!  :wacko:  Guess I just wasn't detailed enough this time.

Looked at the parts manual wrong...........yes, originally they WERE different, then the R2 changed to the same p/n as the R1. 

I had mentioned somewhere recently that I can't scan something quickly any more and be sure I'm correct - this is a good example of that. Just getting older. :(

Paul, you are too modest....I always consider you answers/opinions very seriously.....This time though, I went with the Studebaker parts manual...not that there can't be typos even there on occasion.....be well!:)